, and repaid by the Commonwealth, was one million one hundred and eighty-seven thousand six hundred and fifty-six dollars and sixty-six cents ($1,187,656.66). Total amount, $3,979,232.50.
The following is the record of each city and town:—
Incorporated as a town Sept. 7, 1630; as a city, February 23, 1822.
Population in 1860, 177,818; in 1865, 192,324.
Valuation in 1860, $312,000,000; in 1865, $378,303,357.
The city officers in 1861 were Joseph M. Wightman, mayor; Jonathan Preston, Thomas P. Rich, Silas Peirce, Samuel Hatch, Thomas C. Coffin, Jr., James L. Hanson, Samuel R. Spinney, Nehemiah Gibson, G. Washington Parmenter, Moses Clark, John F. Pray, Elisha T. Wilson, aldermen.
In 1862, Joseph M. Wightman, mayor; Thomas P. Rich, Thomas C. Amory, Jr., James L. Hanson, Samuel R. Spinney, G. Washington Parmenter, John F. Pray, Elisha T. Wilson, Francis Richards, Joseph L. Henshaw, Joseph F. Paul, Calvin A. Richards, Otis Norcross, aldermen.
In 1863, Frederick W. L