Incorporated June 17, 1785.
Population in 1860, 1,916; in 1865, 2,869.
Valuation in 1860, $924,567; in 1865, $1,700,599.
The selectmen in 1861 were Levi Parsons, Lewis S. Clark, Alanson Clark; in 1862, Seth Warner, Lewis S. Clark, Alanson Clark; in 1863, Lawrence D. Lyman, Seth Warner, E. S. Jones; in 1864, Eli A. Hubbard, Edwin S. Jones, Lawrence D. Lyman; in 1865, Edwin S. Janes, Lewis S. Clark, Joel Bassett.
The town-clerk in the years 1861, 1862, and 1863, was Lucius Preston; in 1864, George S. Clark; in 1865, Charles B. Johnson.
The town-treasurer in 1861, 1862, and 1863, was Ambrose Stone; in 1864 and 1865, Levi Parsons.
1861. The first legal town-meeting, to act upon matters relating to the war, was held on the 30th of April, at which the following preamble and resolution were adopted:—
Whereas a large portion of the citizens of the United States are in open rebellion against the Government of the same, and the President of the United States has b