hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Henry Morton Stanley, Dorothy Stanley, The Autobiography of Sir Henry Morton Stanley 2 0 Browse Search
The Daily Dispatch: March 10, 1864., [Electronic resource] 1 1 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 3 results in 2 document sections:

Henry Morton Stanley, Dorothy Stanley, The Autobiography of Sir Henry Morton Stanley, part 1.4, chapter 1.5 (search)
ent this punishment. It appears that he was in a hurry to attend to some work in a field that day, and, while there, fell down dead. The neighbours announced that he had died through the visitation of God, which was their usual way of explaining any sudden fatality of this kind. He was aged 84. His tomb at Whitchurch declares the event to have occurred in 1847. Soon after, I was transferred to the care of an ancient couple who lived at the other end of the Castle, named Richard and Jenny Price, keepers of the Bowling Green, into which one of the courts of the old Castle had been converted. The rate for my maintenance was fixed at half-a-crown a week, which my two uncles agreed to pay to the Prices. Old Richard Price, besides being a gamekeeper, was Sexton of Whitchurch, and Verger of St. David's. His wife Jenny, a stout and buxom old lady, is remembered by me mostly for her associations with peas-pudding, for which I had a special aversion, and for her resolute insistence tha
a garden on the outside of the building, when one of them (William.) watching the opportunity when the attention of the guard in charge of them was directed in another quarter picked up a brick and let fly at him, which missed its aim, but struck his musket and knocked off the bayonet which was fixed on it. The fellow immediately rushed on to the sentinel and threw him down, whereupon he took to his heels and attempted to make his escape; but the guard recovered himself before Gunnells had run many steps, and fired upon him, inflicting a wound which soon ended in his death. As soon as the scuffle began between William Gunnells and the guard, John, the other brother, ran off and succeeded in making good his escape. The Gunnellses were tried before the Hustings Court on the 33 of December last, for stealing a trunk and contents, valued at $2,500, from Miss Jenny Price, a courtesan. The evidence being conclusive against them, they were sentenced by the Court to the Penitentiary.