The amount of money raised and expended by the town for the payment of State aid to the families of soldiers, and which was afterwards repaid by the Commonwealth, was as follows: In 1861, 00; in 1862, $276.00: in 1863, $723.76; in 1864, $565.00; in 1865, $550.00. Total amount, $2,114.76.
Incorporated May 5, 1774.
Population in 1860, 960; in 1865, 914.
Valuation in 1860, $292,830; in 1865, $284,644.
The selectmen in 1861 were Asa L. Field, Luther Dudley, Timothy Putnam; in 1862, Silas Ball, Elihu Hemenway, Luther Dudley; in 1863, Timothy B. Pierce, Alden C. Field, William H. Smith; in 1864, Timothy B. Pierce, Frederick W. Field, Charles Lawton; in 1865, Alden C. Field, Luther Dudley, Frederick W. Field.
The town-clerk in 1861 and 1862 was Elisha M. Ingram; in 1863, Levi M. Graves; in 1864 and 1865, Charles H. Field.
The treasurer of the town during all these years was Elijah Ingram.
1861. The first meeting, to consider matters in regard to the w