The first piano in Haverhill was owned by Gen. John Montgomery and was brought to Haverhill some time prior to 1820.
This instrument had an interesting history.
It was made in London by Christopher Gaverand and had been the property of Princess Amelia, daughter of George III.
She gave it to a chaplain of the royal family, whose daughter married an American by the name of Odionne.
They brought it to Boston, later it was taken to Medford and used in a school kept by Miss Susan Ranson.
It was later still purchased by General Montgomery and brought to Haverhill, where it was in use for some years, and was then taken to New Ipswich, where its real historical importance was seen in the life work of Jonas Chickering, who was at the age of twenty a cabinet maker in that town.
The piano was out of repair and he was given the task of placing it in condition, and though he had never seen such an instrument before, he made a careful study and successfully accomplished hi