ng the hand cards, used for ages past, all this work was painfully manipulated.
In 1770 Lemuel Cox invented a machine for cutting card wires, which machine was preserved by him through his lifetime.
Soon one, John McGlench, unduly got a sight of the same, improved upon it and claimed to be the original inventor.
After the Revolution McGlench was located at the corner of Washington and Bedford streets, and there did business as a card maker.
Others also went into the manufacture.
Giles Richards & Co., wool and cotton card manufacturers, were located at 2 Hanover street in 1789.
By this invention of Cox at that early date, many thousands of pounds were saved to the Commonwealth by putting a stop to the importation of wool and cotton cards from Europe.
It was probably at about this time while experimenting with wire for cards that Cox was the first to produce in the state of Massachusetts wire for fish hooks, and instructed others in the first drawing of steel wire from ha