d also he became one of the earliest fishermen on an extensive scale in the Mystic river.
For this right, in 1803, he paid sixty-five dollars, the privilege being more particularly near the Dike or Labor in Vain, and he often piloted vessels at this time between Medford and Boston.
He owned lighters and transported brick to the city, some of which are now seen in the buildings on Central wharf and Doctor Sharp's (now Charles street) church.
In 1810, having purchased the grist mill of Caleb Richardson, in Woburn, latterly known as the Cutter's mill, in Cutter's village, in Winchester, he built a new structure with two run of stone, which he improved and occupied until his death.
In 1817 he built a grist mill in North Chelsea run by tide water, which was occupied by his sons till the year 1830, when they sold the estate and removed to Winchester.
Zachariah Cutter, a brother of the last-named John, carried on the old tide mill in Medford for a number of years, and then went to Milt