Incorporated June 27, 1785.
Population in 1860, 2,646; in 1865, 2,553.
Valuation in 1860, $901,835; in 1865, $905,324.
The selectmen in 1861 were Aaron Greenwood, Thorley Collister, Amasa Bancroft; in 1862, Amasa Bancroft, Thorley Collister, Jonas Pierce; in 1863, Smyrna W. Bancroft, Thorley Collister, Marcius A. Gates; in 1864, Amasa Bancroft, Marcius A. Gates, John Edgel; in 1865, Marcius A. Gates, Ezra Osgood, Asa Temple.
The town-clerk during all these years was Francis Richardson.
The town-treasurer in 1861 was E. S. Jackson; in 1862, E. S. Jackson and T. Collister; in 1863, 1864, and 1865, C. Webster Bush.
1861. A town meeting legally warned was held April 30th, at which it was voted, first, to authorize the selectmen to purchase, at the expense of the town, suitable uniforms sufficient for members of a volunteer company for active military service to be organized on or before the first day of June next, each member to pledge himself to sustain the Governm