1,809.08; in 1865, $850.00. Total amount, $5,613.81.
The ladies of Leverett formed in 1861 a Soldiers' Aid Society, which was continued during the war. The total value of the articles made and furnished by them for the soldiers was two hundred and twenty dollars and fifty-one cents.
Incorporated Feb. 22, 1809.
Population in 1860, 606; in 1865, 592.
Valuation in 1860, $273,648; in 1865, $278,647.
The selectmen in 1861, 1862, and 1863, were David Morey, Oliver Chapin, Russell Richmond; in 1864, Henry Sheldon, Edward Denison, Zadock King; in 1865, Henry Sheldon, Zadock King, A. J. Denison.
The town-clerk and town-treasurer during all these years was E. Wing Parker.
1861. The first legal town-meeting, to consider matters relating to the war, was held September 24th, at which David Morey presented the following preamble and resolutions:—
Whereas, certain young men of our town have come forward promptly at the call of their country, and offered their services f