Browsing named entities in The Daily Dispatch: April 30, 1861., [Electronic resource]. You can also browse the collection for James W. Ripley or search for James W. Ripley in all documents.

Your search returned 2 results in 2 document sections:

xtending the contemplated blockade to the ports of Virginia and North Carolina, but not to those of Maryland. Commodore Stringham is to be officially named in it as the commander of the whole blockading force. It has been determined by the Government immediately to increase the regular army 25,000 rank and file. Also the navy from 7,000, its present force, to 25,000. Col. Henry K. Craig, the head of the Ordnance Department, has been relieved, and ordered to other duty. Lieut. Col. James W. Ripley is appointed in his place. The usual oath was administered to the New York Seventh, on Friday afternoon, at the Capitol, in the Presence of the President and his family, and a large concourse of citizens and soldiers. There are three hundred and fifty marines now at the barracks here, who have a battalion drill at six o'clock every morning, and a dress parade every afternoon at five o'clock.--We understand that they are to have a target-firing to-morrow. Col. Corcor
Japanese Embassy on board. They first visited Port au Grand, at the Cape de Verde Islands, and then proceeded to Loango, on the coast of Africa. From there they made a stretch to Batavia, on the island of Java, the trip occupying 44 days. They remained there ten days, and then proceeded to Hong Kong. From there they went to Japan, arriving at Jeddo November 9. They were received there with much ceremony, very courteously treated, and the Captain and eight of the officers, with Col. Ripley, were invited to dine with the Prime Minister and all the high Princes of the Empire. They then went to Yokohama, 12 miles below Jeddo, where the men were allowed to go ashore. They left Japan on the 28th of November for Hong Kong, and made one of the shortest passages on record, occupying only seven and a half days, and one day making over 312 miles, under sail alone. After taking in coal and water, they took Mr. Ward on board, and after touching at Singapore, proceeded to Ade