Browsing named entities in Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865. You can also browse the collection for John Ritchie or search for John Ritchie in all documents.

Your search returned 30 results in 18 document sections:

1 2
, John H. Silsbee, Manuel Fenollosa, G. Mitchell, John W. Brooks, Samuel Cabot, Jr., John Lowell, James T. Fields, Henry Lee, Jr., George S. Hale, William Dwight, Richard P. Waters, Avery Plummer, Jr., Alexander H. Rice, John J. May, John Gardner, Mrs. Chas. W. Sumner, Albert G. Browne, Ralph Waldo Emerson, William B. Rogers, Charles Buffum, John S. Emery, Gerritt Smith, Albert G. Browne, Jr., Mrs. S. R. Urbino, Edward W. Kinsley, Uriah and John Ritchie, Pond & Duncklee, John H. and Mary E. Cabot, Mary P. Payson, Manuel Emilio, Henry W. Holland, Miss Halliburton, Frederick Tudor, Samuel Johnson, Mary E. Stearns, Mrs. William J. Loring, Mrs. Governor Andrew, Mrs. Robert C. Waterston, Wright & Potter, James B. Dow, William Cumston, John A. Higginson, Peter Smith, Theodore Otis, Avery Plummer, James Savage, Samuel May, Mrs. Samuel May, Josiah Quincy, William Claflin, Mrs. Harrison Gra
the shores faded from view, as the De Molay steamed rapidly out of harbor. The Fifty-fourth was en route for rebellious soil. The following roster of officers of the Fifty-fourth comprises all those who departed for the field with the regiment on May 28, and their respective rank and assignment at the time.— Colonel,—Robert G. Shaw. Major,—Edward N. Hallowell. Surgeon,—Lincoln R. Stone. Assistant-Surgeon,—Charles B. Bridgham. Adjutant,—Garth W. James. Quartermaster,—John Ritchie. Company A. Capt., John W. M. Appleton. 1st Lieut., Wm. Homans. Company B. Capt., Samuel Willard [Mann]. 1st Lieut., James M. Walton. 2d Lieut., Thomas L. Appleton. Company C. 1st Lieut., James W. Grace. 2d Lieut., Benjamin F. Dexter. Company D. Capt., Edward L. Jones. 1st Lieut., R. H. L. Jewett. Company E. Capt., Luis F. Emilio. 2d Lieut., David Reid. Company F. Capt., Watson W. Bridge. 2d Lieut., Alexander Johnston. Company G. 1st Lieut., Orin E. Smith
He was a man of austere bearing, cool, deliberate, and of proved courage. In personal appearance he was tall, spare, rather bowed, with gentle voice and quiet manner. After his resignation in September, 1864, he returned to Kansas, and died there in December, 1871. Colonel Montgomery, with five companies of his regiment, on June 6, had made an expedition from St. Simon's up the Turtle River to Brunswick and beyond, and destroyed a span of the railroad bridge over Buffalo Creek. Quartermaster Ritchie issued A and wall tents to the Fifty-fourth on June 10; and all were at work pitching camp and clearing the ground, when a steamer came to the wharf. Colonel Montgomery was on board, and hailing Colonel Shaw from the deck, said, How soon can you be ready to start on an expedition?Colonel Shaw replied, In half an hour, and at once caused the long-roll to be sounded. Hurried preparations were at once made, and at 6 P. M. eight companies of the regiment embarked on the Sentinel. Comp
te. Brigadier-General Stevenson's Twenty-fourth Massachusetts and Ninety-seventh Pennsylvania were ordered to take transports from James Island. By Colonel Davis's order the Fifty-fourth Massachusetts was given the advance, moving at 9.30 o'clock that night, followed by the other regiments, the route being pointed out by guides from the engineers, who accompanied the head of column. All stores, ammunition, and horses of the Fifty-fourth were put on board the steamer Boston by Quartermaster Ritchie, who, with his men, worked all night in the mud and rain. Surgeon Lincoln R. Stone of the Fifty-fourth and Surgeon Samuel A. Green of the Twenty-fourth Massachusetts saw that all the wounded were properly cared for, and also embarked. It was a stormy night, with frequent flashes of lightning, and pouring rain. Colonel Davis, at the proper time, saw to the withdrawal of the Fifty-second Pennsylvania, which held the front lines. So silently was the operation accomplished that the
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865, Chapter 5: the greater assault on Wagner. (search)
ings. right wing.KCIAB ————— left wing.HFGDE ————— Colonel Shaw, Lieutenant-Colonel Hallowell, Adjutant James, seven captains, and twelve lieutenants,—a total of twenty-two officers,—advanced to the assault. Surgeon Stone and Quartermaster Ritchie were present on the field. Both field officers were dismounted; the band and musicians acted as stretcher-bearers. To many a gallant man these scenes upon the sands were the last of earth; to the survivors they will be ever present. in safety. This work was continued until daylight, and many men gathered in by the Ninety-seventh; among them was Lieutenant Smith of the Fifty-fourth. It was a noble work fearlessly done. Throughout the assault and succeeding night, Quartermaster Ritchie was active and efficient in rendering help to the wounded of the regiment and endeavoring to ascertain the fate of Colonel Shaw and other officers. Surgeon Stone skilfully aided all requiring his services, sending the se
sent. A number were without arms, which had either been destroyed or damaged in their hands by shot and shell, or were thrown away in the effort to save life. The officers present for duty were Captain Emilio, commanding, Surgeon Stone, Quartermaster Ritchie, and Lieutenants T. W. Appleton, Grace, Dexter, Jewett, Emerson, Reid, Tucker, Johnston, Howard, and Higginson. Some fifty men, slightly wounded, were being treated in camp. The severely wounded, including seven officers, were taken o. For the first time also sharpshooters of the enemy fired on our working parties with long-range rifles. Orders came on the 26th that, owing to the few officers and lack of arms, the Fifty-fourth should only furnish fatigue details. Quartermaster Ritchie, who was sent to Hilton Head, returned on the 29th with the officers, men, and camp equipage from St. Helena, and tents were put up the succeeding day. Some six hundred men were then present with the colors, including the sick. The numbe
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865, Chapter 7: bombardment of Charleston. (search)
se and other discourtesies was at last obtained. There arrived from Long Island, Mass., on the 20th, some one hundred and twelve recruits for the regiment, which served to fill the ranks nearly to the maximum. With a single exception they were all volunteers. By this date the Fifty-fourth was well clothed, fully equipped, and prepared for any service. The colder weather, although it brought some discomfort, served to lessen the number of sick. Food was better and more varied. Quartermaster Ritchie, assisted by Sergeant Barquet and Private King, secured bricks from the old lighthouse and constructed an oven which furnished soft bread. It had a capacity of two hundred loaves each baking. Troops had been moving from various posts to Hilton Head during January, and on the 27th our brigade was ordered to embark as soon as transportation was provided. During the afternoon of the 28th everything but the tents was loaded upon two steamers assigned to the Fifty-fourth. As darknes
on the steamer Maple Leaf, which was General Seymour's flag-ship. Captain Emilio, with Company E, some recruits, Quartermaster Ritchie, and the stores, took passage on the schooner R. C. A. Ward. Colonel Hallowell, with the remaining companies, wasnt Chipman; Company B, Lieutenant Newell; Company D, Lieutenant Duren. Assistant-Surgeons Bridgham and Pease, and Quartermaster Ritchie, were on the field. Sergeant Wilkins, of Company D, bore the national flag in the ranks of Company K, and Corpore cars laden with wounded nerved them to the task, so they faced about cheerfully. Upon arriving at the station, Quartermaster Ritchie found some hard bread on the train which he distributed to our men, sadly in need of food. Then ropes were attache railroad in prolongation of the earthworks, and after two hours work its front was covered by a good parapet. Quartermaster Ritchie hauled out ammunition, and then as no crackers were to be had, finding an old oven, had soft bread baked. The wo
t and boiled with fresh beef, were issued twice a week. As fresh vegetables were sorely needed, Commissary-Sergeant Lee was sent to Beaufort and brought back a limited quantity. Our daily duties of fatigue and grand guard went on unvaryingly week after week. The troops only looked forward to the arrival of the mails to bring news of events taking place elsewhere. Some sick and wounded comrades returned; and on June 20 we received twelve recruits for the regiment. That same day Quartermaster Ritchie recorded in his journal that he saw and talked with Washington Smith just escaped from Charleston, who told him about the Fifty-fourth prisoners there. This seems to be the first news received of these men, then confined nearly a year. Until late in June it was not expected that any active operations would be attempted, at least during the summer months. But on the 19th there were demonstrations made by our troops from Folly Island about the Stono. By the 29th evidences of some
K, Lieutenant Leonard, commanding, and Lieutenant Chas. Jewett, Jr.; Company A, Lieutenant Knowles; Company E, Captain Emilio and Lieutenants Chipman and Cousens; Company B, Lieutenant Newell, commanding, and Lieutenant Hallett; Company G, Lieut. David Reid; Company F, Captain Bridge and Lieutenant Duren. Sergt. Chas. A. Lenox, of Company A, bore the national flag, and Corp. Jos. Stiles, of Company F, the State color, in the ranks of Company E. There were 363 enlisted men present. Quartermaster Ritchie was also on the island. Surgeon Briggs was detailed on Morris Island, and an assistant-surgeon (whose name is not known), was temporarily assigned to the regiment. All the horses had been left at Stono. Though partially concealed by woods and irregularities of the ground, we of the Fifty-fourth knew the formidable character of the enemy's works in our front, for from the Crow's Nest on Black Island we had seen in reverse the line constructed since the previous summer in advance
1 2