The amount of money raised and expended for State aid to soldiers' families during the war, and which was afterwards repaid by the Commonwealth, was as follows: In 1861, $229.69; in 1862, $2,227.12; in 1863, $3,248.99; in 1864, $3,112.71; in 1865, $1,550.00. Total amount, $10,368.51.
Incorporated March 12, 1783.
Population in 1860, 748; in 1865, 723.
Valuation in 1860, $308,332; in 1865, $351,881.
The selectmen in 1861 and 1862 were John L. Bell, Morgan Pease, Jacob Robbins; in 1863, Matthew Smith, John W. Cross, Samuel Smith, Jr.; in 1864, John L. Bell, Morgan Pease, John W. Cross; in 1865, John L. Bell, Morgan Pease, E. J. Ingham.
The town-clerk during all the years of the war was Jonathan McElwain.
The town-treasurer in 1861 and 1862 was Oliver Church; in 1863, 1864, and 1665, Solomon F. Root.
A number of meetings called war meetings were held during the Rebellion, at which money was voted to procure volunteers to fill the several quotas assigned