f money raised and expended by the town for the payment of State aid to the families of soldiers during the four years of the war, and which was afterwards repaid to it by the Commonwealth, was as follows: In 1861, 00; in 1862, $700.73; in 1863, $1,590.00; in 1864, $2,073.40; in 1865, $1,030.80. Total amount, $5,394.93.
Incorporated July 4, 1774.
Population in 1860, 499; in 1865, 494.
Valuation in 1860, $218,200; in 1865, $214,930.
The selectmen in 1861 were Turner Joy, Dwight Rockwell, B. J. Geer; in 1862, B. J. Geer, E. W. Pierce, J. M. Stowell; in 1863, E. W. Pierce, J. M. Stowell, S. Shamway; in 1864, E. W. Pierce, S. Shamway, James Barnes; in 1865, E. W. Pierce, J. M. Stowell, J. S. Barnes.
The town-clerk during the years 1861, 1862, and 1863, was S. B. Fench; in 1864 and 1865, S. S. Bowen.
The town-treasurer during all the years of the war was Ebenezer Haskell.
1861. The first legal town-meeting, to consider matters relating to the war, was held May 13th;