Your search returned 16 results in 6 document sections:

m. Campbell, charged with feloniously entering R. H. Dobbins's house and stealing a piece of cloth and other articles, was acquitted it appearing that Campbell had been put into the premises by D. as his agent to sell everything and take a portion of the property as his profits. If he chose to take all, D. could not justly accuse him of larceny — so the Mayor ruled. James and John Barry, white lads, were committed for examination on the second Monday in March, for feloniously cutting Henry Ross in the left breast with a dirk knife. James W. Cov, for certain eccentricities of conduct, involving a breach of the peace committed at Metropolitan Hall, Tuesday night, was sent to jail. Albert Parham, free negro, and a graduate of the Penitentiary, having been found roaming at large, was sent to jail by the Mayor, to be returned to his old home for the third time Albert's chances appeared to be bad; but wherefore, the evidence adduced did not disclose. R. E. Butler, a disc
seen at once that there are both sense and strategy in this plan. --In case it should succeed, Washington would be in greater danger than it has been yet. The following are the number and present disposition of all the rebel troops: Rebel "Army of the Potomac," commanded by General Lee in person, headquarters at Winchester, army corps of Gen. Jackson, Gen. Longstreet, and Gen. Hill, each about 40,000 strong, and including the divisions of Gen. Ewell, Gen. Huger, Gen. Stuart, Gen. Ross, and Gen. Craig120,000 Gen. Johnston's army corps, (headquarters at Culpeper,) consisting of the divisions of Gen. Gustavus W. Smith, Gen. Jones, and Gen. Horton, each division about 15,000 strong 45,000 Two army corps at Gordonsville, each 40,000 strong80,000 At Richmond, Petersburg, and on James river20,000 At Lynchburg, (conscripts in camp of instruction for the last three months,)40,000 Vicinity of Romney, mostly guerrillas8,000 At Gauley, and in Western Virginia, under Gen. Floy
nder Hospital, confessed himself guilty, as appeared from the testimony of watchman Franklin, who arrested him, and was ordered a threading. Thadeus A. Waston, charged with drunk cas and disorderly conduct at Steinline's, Broad street, Wednesday night, gave ball for his appearance on Thursday, in the moles above referred to Peter Lawson, jr., was cut on the arm with a knife, but not by Watson, as he testified. John and James Barry, two brothers, sent on to Court to be tried for Henry Ross, on the 13th of last February, on Ryrd, between 10th and 11th streets, were arraigned for murder. Boss having died from the effects of his wounds. They were sent on to a Court, Oct. 27th, and committed to jail. C. S. Diaries Court.--Mrs. James D. Judge--October 27 1862.--The case of A. B. of Alabama, a member of the Washington Artillery, charged with stealing from the Richmond came up for trial at 11 o'clock A. M. appeared as usual for the and for the Confederate States. I
The Daily Dispatch: October 27, 1862., [Electronic resource], The English press on the emancipation proclamation. (search)
Special session. --A special session of the Hustings Court will convene to-day at 11 o'clock, at the City Hall, for the purpose of examining John and James Barry, the lads who are charged with causing the death of Henry Ross, by stabbing him, on Byrd street, last February; also, William S. Conley, for stabbing Mary J. McMinn, on 2d street, about two weeks since, and Thomas Dobson and Michael Burns, for stealing Julius H. Gantt's horse.
hooting Michael Reardan, and was found guilty by the jury of unlawful shooting. His term of confinement in the city jail was fixed at twelve months, and he was fined one dollar. John and James Berry, two lads, were tried for the murder of Henry Ross, on Byrd street, last February. It appears that John Berry, with other boys were amusing themselves by throwing rocks near Ross's house. He came to the front door of his house and told them to stop, whereupon the elder Berry commanded his brohem to stop, whereupon the elder Berry commanded his brother to cut Rouss's liver out, and made some threats of a sanguinary nature towards that individual. The smaller one of the boys then approached Ross and cut him in the side with a pen-knife. Several months afterwards he died the prosecution claimed, of the wounds inflicted on the occasion. The jury acquitted them of the charge of murder, and they were remanded to jail, to be brought before the Mayor on the charge of unlawful stabbing.
ns's Court has been in session during the week, but the business transacted by it has not been of such a nature as to interest the public. Yesterday the Court took up the case of the boys John and James Barry, charged with feloniously stabbing Henry Ross, on the 13th of last February, on Byrd street, Mr. Cannon, counsel for the defendants, submitted a motion for their discharge, on the ground of informality in the proceedings heretofore had against them. They had formerly been indicted for the murder of Ross, he having died several months after being stabbed, but on their arraignment to be tried for murder the Judge quashed the indictment, and remanded them to the Mayor, by whom and the Aldermanic Court they had been sent on for trial on the charge of felonious stabbing. The attorney for the Commonwealth replied to the argument of prisoners' counsel, insisting that there was no informality in the proceedings, and that they should be tried for the offence for which they had been indi