Your search returned 318 results in 89 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5 6 ...
Robert Underwood Johnson, Clarence Clough Buell, Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: The Opening Battles. Volume 1., Union and Confederate Indians in the civil War. (search)
rful and most civilized of the tribes of the Indian Territory, it was different. Their chief, John Ross, was opposed to hasty action, and at first favored neutrality, and in the summer of 1861 issuing the Confederate forces in western Arkansas and the Department of Indian Territory, visited Chief Ross with the view of having him make a treaty with the Confederacy. But he declined to make a treyon killed, and the Union army defeated and forced to fall back from Springfield to Rolla. Chief Ross now thought that the South would probably succeed in establishing her independence, and expreshorities. On his return from the West in September, 1861, Commissioner Pike, at the request of Mr. Ross, went to Park Hill and made a treaty with the Cherokees. The treaties made with each tribe proould not be taken out of the Indian Territory. Even before the treaty with Commissioner Pike, Chief Ross had commenced to organize a regiment composed nearly altogether of Pin Indians. John Drew, a
ve arrayed the two sections of the country against each other. But as the rebel authorities sent troops to occupy the country of these Indians immediately after hostilities commenced, and held undisputed possession of it until our expedition of last summer, the loyalists were obliged to leave their homes or contend with unequal odds, with the chances of being continually beaten and finally driven out. Hence when we withdrew from the Indian Territory last August, and brought out the Chief, John Ross, and some of the national archives and treasury, thousands of loyal Indian families, Cherokees, Creeks, and Seminoles, accompanied us as far as. Baxter Springs, on the southern line of Kansas. While at Baxter Springs, and indeed since they have been exiles from their homes, the Government has issued them rations, and looked after them to mollify their hardships as much as possible. And though the greater proportion of these Indian families have remained in Southwest Missouri, since the
e State line. At this point we took the road leading into the Cherokee Nation towards Park Hill, but marched only a few miles west when we pitched our camp, and called it Camp Jim Lane, in honor of Senator James H. Lane, whose name is familiar to every one acquainted with the history of Kansas. At eight o'clock on the morning of the 8th everything was in readiness to move, and from Camp Jim Lane we marched to Park Hill, twenty-two miles west, and encamped near the residence of the Chief, John Ross. After we left Duchtown every mile of the country we passed over became more inviting. For agricultural and grazing purposes it is certainly much superior to Arkansas. We crossed the Illinois river again, a few miles to the east of us on the march here. It discharges a larger volume of water than when we crossed it in Arkansas, and its bottoms are much wider, and its course changes toward the south. It does not, however, go rushing along in such a rapid and impetuous current, but is n
lusion of any or all of the movements mentioned above, of one result we feel assured, and that is, of the final success of our great and glorious cause, and of the eventual defeat and humiliation of our vaunting enemies. Our people are not discouraged — our troops are brave, anxious, and hopeful, and the God of battles will defend the right and carry our standard to victory. We may prepare ourselves for the development of the future at an early day.--Memphis Appeal (Tenn.), June 19. John Ross, principal Chief of the Cherokee Indians, in a proclamation to his people, reminds them of the obligations arising under their treaties with the United States, and urging them to their faithful observance; earnestly impressing upon all the propriety of attending to their ordinary avocations, and abstaining from unprofitable discussion of events transpiring in the States; cultivating harmony among themselves, and the observance of good faith and strict neutrality between them and the States
nd at Bird's Point, for the fight.--(Doc. 139.) Yesterday M. Parks, the agent of the State of North Carolina in Portsmouth, Virginia, transferred to the Confederacy a fleet of five steamers already manned and armed.--Richmond Examiner, July 30, 31. Brigadier-General Pope issued a special order, assigning Brigadier-General Hurlburt to the command of the United States forces along the Hannibal and St. Joseph railroad. Colonel Grant to command at Mexico, on the North Missouri road; Colonel Ross to occupy Mounton, and Colonel Palmer to post his regiment at Renick and Sturgeon, making his Headquarters at Renick. These several districts to be divided into sub-districts not exceeding seven miles in extent, and commanding officers are instructed to report to the district Headquarters at Mexico the names of persons suitable to be appointed superintendents and assistant superintendents, whose duty it shall be to protect the railroad property in their respective divisions. Men of prop
housand and sixty muskets, left Albany, N. Y., for Washington. There was a perfect ovation at the departure of this regiment. Prior to their departure a handsome regimental banner was presented to the troops, with appropriate ceremonies, by the wife of Erastus Corning.--N. Y. Herald, Oct. 22. A large body of rebels, under Jeff. Thompson and Lowe, were defeated at Fredericktown, Missouri, by Illinois, Wisconsin, and Indiana troops, about two thousand in number, under Colonel Carlin, Colonel Ross, Colonel Baker, Major Plummer, and Major Scofield. The engagement lasted two hours, when the rebels fled from the field in disorder, and took to the woods. Major Gavitt and Captain Hingham were killed in making a charge. Colonel Lowe, the rebel leader, was killed and four heavy guns were captured. The rebels were pursued for twenty-two miles, when the chase was given over. Two hundred rebels were left in the field. Union loss, six killed and forty wounded.--(Doc. 100.) Capt. J.
en in the military service of the confederate States could take the parole to the tenth instant.--Gen. Butler issued an order authorizing several regiments of volunteers for the United States army to be recruited, and organized in the State of Louisiana. A reconnoissance by the First Maine cavalry was this day made as far as Waterloo, on the Rappahannock River, Va.--A band of rebel guerrillas visited the residence of a Unionist named Pratt, in Lewis County, Mo., and murdered him. John Ross, principal Chief of the Cherokee Indians, addressed a letter to Colonel Weer, commanding United States forces at Leavenworth, Kansas, informing him that on the seventh day of October, 1861, the Cherokee Nation had entered into a treaty with the confederate States. --(Doc. 147.) President Lincoln arrived at Harrison's Landing, on the James River, Va., and, accompanied by Gen. McClellan, reviewed the army of the Potomac.--Governors Salomon of Wisconsin, and Olden of New Jersey, issued p
s overthrow, would be allowed to run as a candidate for any office in the military district of Kentucky. The attempt of such a person to stand for office would be regarded as in itself sufficient evidence of his treasonable intent to warrant his arrest.--General Order No. 5. The work of recruiting for the Union army, under the call of President Lincoln for three hundred thousand men, issued on the first instant, was rapidly progressing in all the loyal States of the Union. Brigadier-General Ross, of the Union army, issued an order from his headquarters at Bolivar, Tenn., to all owners of slaves living within ten miles of his military post, to forward to his headquarters three fourths of their male slaves, from the age of sixteen to forty-five years, to aid him in erecting fortifications.--A large and enthusiastic meeting was held in Hornellsville, N. Y., for the purpose of promoting enlistments into the army under the call of President Lincoln for more troops. Forty volunte
owing commands in the army of Virginia were designated by the War Department: First corps, Major-Gen. Hooker; Second corps, Major-Gen. Sumner; Third corps, Major-General Heintzelman; Fourth corps, Major-Gen. Keyes; Fifth corps, Major-Gen. Fitz-John Porter; Sixth corps, Major-Gen. Franklin; Seventh corps, Major-Gen. Dix; Eighth corps, Major-Gen. Wool; Ninth corps, Major-Gen. Burnside; Tenth corps, Major-Gen. Mitchel; Eleventh corps, Major-Gen. Sedgwick; Twelfth corps, Major-Gen. Sigel. John Ross, chief of the Cherokee Indians, had an interview with President Lincoln, at Washington, this morning, with regard to the rescue of his nation from the rebels. The Union army under General Burnside entered Frederick, Md. A slight skirmish occurred between the Union advance-guard and the rear-guard of the rebel army, in which there were several men killed and wounded on both sides. Great enthusiasm was manifested by the inhabitants, on the appearance of Gen. Burnside and his army.--(Do
afterward attacked by a party of rebels on shore, who succeeded in throwing a shell into her magazine and blowing her up. Two of the Unionists were killed and eight wounded, all belonging to the Third Rhode Island artillery.--A party of rebel guerrillas, under Woodward, captured and burned the steamers Saxonia and Lovell, on the Cumberland River, after killing the captain of the latter, and severely wounding the captain of the former. The Tallahatchie fleet, consisting of the divisions under Generals Ross and Quimby, and numerous gunboats and mortar-boats, arrived at Helena, Ark. The expedition, which had been absent forty-three days, left Fort Greenwood on the fifth. As soon as the bustle was observed by the rebels, they opened a brisk fire upon the woods where batteries had been planted, which continued till the last boat steamed up the river. On the passage, the boats were frequently fired on by guerrillas. A number of soldiers were wounded and twenty-five or thirty killed.
1 2 3 4 5 6 ...