le was presided over by Mrs. Angier and Mrs. Hall.— E. M. G.
On page 23, vol.
XIV., the Register gives the names of thirty-seven Medford men who contributed to the monument fund, doubtless in the earlier days of its erection.
The table of the Medford women in the fair in Quincy Hall was numbered 11, three Boston tables being 9, 10, 12, and Maiden 13; all on the side next North Market street. The contract for the completion of the work was awarded (signed) November 4, 1840, to James Sullivan Savage for $43,800. Of this sum $30,000 was the result of the women's patriotic effort.
Work was suspended in February, 1829, at a height of 37 feet; resumed June 17, 1834; again suspended November, 1835; height, 85 feet.
Steam power was first used for hoisting the granite blocks by the last builders, and on Saturday, July 23, 1842, the pyramidal capstone was hoisted in sixteen minutes, Col. Charles Carnes standing upon it, holding an American flag during the ascent.
It is stated in th