lth, was as follows: In 1861, $1,856.54; in 1862, $4,477.63; in 1863, $5,626.33; in 1864, $7,206.91; in 1865, $4,362.51. Total amount, $23,529.92.
Incorporated April 25, 1781.
Population in 1860, 1,918; in 1865, 1,668.
Valuation in 1860, $978,871; in 1865, $1,086,710.
The selectmen in 1861 were Perley Bartlett, Asa Keyes, Edward Burpee; in 1862, J. S. Butterick, Josiah Phelps, James A. Pratt; in 1863, J. S. Butterick, Josiah Phelps, Ephraim Fairbanks; in 1864 and 1865, Ezra Sawyer, Henry E. Kendall, Moses B. Heywood.
The town-clerk and town-treasurer during all these years was William D. Peck.
1861. The first legal town-meeting to consider matters relating to the war was held April 29th, when it was voted to appropriate not exceeding three thousand dollars to equip and uniform such of our fellow-townsmen as may volunteer to serve in the military service of the United States, and to assist their families during their absence.
The treasurer was authorized to b