formed Dutch Church.
It received the name of Rutgers College in 1825, when Col. Henry Rutgers gave it $5,000. Its operations had been three times suspended previous to that time—once by the Revolution and twice by financial embarrassment.
Its first president was Rev. Dr. J. R. Hardenburg.
Its small endowments and the disturbances of the Civil War threatened it with a fourth suspension, when Rev. Dr. W. H. Campbell, an energetic worker, was called to the presidential chair in 1863.
Under his administration several hundred thousand dollars were added to the endowment, and in 1866 the State College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts was opened as a department of the college, with a farm of 100 acres. At the close of 1900 the college reported twenty-eight professors and instructors; 200 students; 2,005 graduates; 41,000 volumes in the library; scientific apparatus valued at $70,000; grounds and buildings, $366,500; and endowment, $500,000. The president was Austin Scott, Ph.D., Ll.D.