ill); Daniel S. Cheney (killed at the battle before Richmond); George F. Kittredge; William B. Parker; Charles O. Alley; Henry G. Currell (died a prisoner at Andersonville); Edward F. Crockett; Henry Hathaway; Benjamin Ellis (who starved in a Southern prison, was exchanged among other prisoners, and reached Medford only to die); Antipas Newton, Jr.; Austin F. Clark; Charles Ellis; George A. Newcomb; Rodney Hathaway and Nelson Hathaway.
Mr. Ames was followed by Revs. Henry M. Loud, David Sherman, D. D., and Daniel Wait.
During Mr. Wait's ministry a revival occurred which spread through the town, embracing all the evangelical churches.
During this pastorate, also, the church lost by death three of its most valued members—Joseph L. Goldthwait, Albert Butters and Ira T. Barker.
In 1869 Rev. N. T. Whitaker followed Mr. Wait.
That year the society purchased a house on the corner of Salem and Park streets for a parsonage, but retained it only two years when the new church enterprise d
rious committees were chosen, and the meeting adjourned to a later date.
Just why the reverend presiding elder (David Sherman, D. D.) fixed upon the day usually given over to the patron saint of All Fools we have never known, but on the evening ofafter much preliminary work the second M. E. Church assembled in Quarterly Conference on June 20, 1873.
Presiding Elder Sherman appointed Rev. Francis J. Wagner of the First Church (who was present) preacher in charge.
A new board of stewards waof November 6, 1873, came an audience completely filling the house.
Introductory remarks were made by Presiding Elder Sherman.
Rev. E. L. Jaggar, pastor of the West Medford Congregational Church, read the hymn—
Great King of Glory come Andcame forward, and in the disciplinary form presented the building for dedication.
The declaration thereof was made by Dr. Sherman, and the dedicatory prayer by the pastor, Brother Wagner.
An anthem (by the choir of the First Church, who, with th