of his early home pictures of vessels in varied rig. Hayden & Cudworth built their first ship—the Horsburgh, 577 tons—in 1846; their largest and last—the Henry Hastings, 1,500 tons—in 1866; in all thirty-nine vessels.
Mr. Cudworth served the town of Medford as one of its selectmen several times; was a representative to the Legislature for three consecutive sessions.
He died at his home Feb. 2, 1877.
In the fine finish required for the interior of a ship's cabin, the workmanship of Mr. Faphet Sherman held a superior place.
His trim-looking house, just below the corner of Pleasant street, was his residence from the time he built it, fifty-two years. He came from Marshfield, born there in 1818.
In 1834 he apprenticed himself to Oakman Joyce, to learn carpentering and joinering, which trade he followed through life.
His thoroughness and skill still speak in the fine work on the interiors of the houses of Gen. Samuel C. Lawrence, James W. Tufts, George L. Stearns, and Hon. Edward