Browsing named entities in The Daily Dispatch: November 25, 1861., [Electronic resource]. You can also browse the collection for Sickles or search for Sickles in all documents.

Your search returned 2 results in 2 document sections:

le of Occoquan. These were burned about 3 o'clock this morning, and the light of the fires flashing through the dark caused considerable commotion across the river. Such others as were found in the vicinity, that were liable to seizure, were rendered useless. The gallant sailor returned this morning thoroughly disgusted with his land trip, and is now safely on board his steamer, on the lookout for new adventures. Several camps are visible on the Maryland shore, belonging probably to Sickles's brigade. Heavy fires are constantly burning, and dense volumes of smoke are seen rising for several miles up and down the river. There is now a battery of five mortars and a rifle opposite Evansport, and others seem to be in the process of erection behind a slight eminence. Information has been received that a field work is nearly completed to contain six seacoast howitzers, or mortars, and two rifled cannon; and this, together with other indications, show that great preparation is goi
et told him he never was more mistaken; that he was faring sumptuously on the hams taken at Manassas. This enraged the Yankee, and after cursing the "rebels," the conversation was broken off. It was reported on the streets yesterday, that there had been firing at Aquia Creek on Wednesday--upon enquiry as to the cause we learned that it was merely the discharge of those pieces that had not been fired for some time, and that they were discharged merely to be reloaded. Yesterday morning Sickles's permanent battery opened, we learn, on our Evansport batteries — our side promptly returned the fire, and some thirty-four rounds were exchanged, when the firing ceased. One of the enemy's missiles was a shell weighing over thirty pounds, which fortunately did not explode — on our side comes the often repeated and gratifying report of "nobody hurt." The Fredericksburg Herald, of Friday evening, 22d inst., has the following: Our gunners at the Evansport batteries are becom