hide Matching Documents

Your search returned 6 results in 3 document sections:

Murder. --Last Thursday afternoon a foul murder was committed in Rocketts, the particulars of which have not as yet been made entirely clear. The man killed was named Wright, and belonged to the 8th La. regiment, and the parties arrested on suspicion of the murder are Edward Skahan and Patrick McAcare. Dr. L. J. Blankinship, who witnessed the affray, save that in passing through Rocketts, and when near the creek, he saw the deceased and Sydney Pryor passing along. Wright in a state of intoxication, having his money in his hands, and Pryor inviting him to take another drink. The Doctor advised Pryor to let the man go along, when P. gave (the Doctor) one or two blows on the head with a slung shot. When the affray began Dr. B. thinks he saw Pryor using his knife, and others beating the deceased. A wounded soldier, who saw the row; attempted to receive Wright, but was set upon and beaten. Fortunately Capt. Haywood, with his mounted corps, heard the row, and hastening to the
The Daily Dispatch: July 9, 1863., [Electronic resource], Gen. Lee's army — later from the North. (search)
Murdering a soldier. --John Carter, Pat'k McAnara, and Edward Skahan, charged with feloniously beating and stabbing George P. Wright, and thereby causing his death, made their appearance before the Mayor yesterday, to answer the charge; but many of the witnesses being absent, the examination was postponed till to day, and the partise accused were remanded to The police have not yet succeeded in arresting Sydney Wicker, who is said to have inflicted the stab, and who is believed to be lurking about the Eastern suburbs, where the military authorities will be likely to capture him very soon as a deserter.
Murder. --John Carter, Edward Skahan and Patrick McAnara, were before the Mayor yesterday to answer the charge of feloniously stabbing and killing George P. Wright, on the 1st of July. When the case was called a large number of witnesses appeared and testified, but none of them recognized either of the prisoners as the murderer. Patrick J. McGrath saw the wounded man and talked with him only a few moments before his death. The deceased then gave his name as Deyle, a member of the 8th Louisiana, but since substituted in a Virginia regiment under the assumed name of George P. Smith. While Mr. McG was talking to the wounded man Sidney Wicker came up and inquired as to his condition. A woman standing by charged him with the murder, and he instantly left. The examination was adjourned till Saturday next.