expended by all the towns for State aid to the soldiers' families during the four years of the war, and which was reimbursed by the Commonwealth, was two hundred and sixty-two thousand forty-nine dollars and sixty-one cents ($262,049.61), making a grand total of $852,746.80.
The war records of the towns are as follows:—
Incorporated Oct. 15, 1778.
Population in 1860, 6,924; in 1865, 8,298.
Valuation in 1860, $2,543,095; in 1865, $3,350,551.
The selectmen in 1861 were Alpheas Smith, Elisha Kingsley, John W. Richmond; in 1862 and 1863, Lysander Johnson, Luther C. Hosmer, John W. Richmond; in 1864, Lysander Johnson, A. G. Plumb, William H. Wilkinson; in 1865, John F. Arnold, A. G. Plumb, John W. Richmond.
The town-clerk in 1861 was A. J. Ray; in 1862 and 1863, Mark F. Adams; in 1864 and 1865, H. S. Millard.
The town-treasurer in 1861 and 1862 was W. W. Freeman; in 1863, George A. Lapham; in 1864, C. H. Ingalls; in 1865, E. W. Wilkinson.
1861. Adams is one of t