Browsing named entities in D. H. Hill, Jr., Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 4, North Carolina (ed. Clement Anselm Evans). You can also browse the collection for G. W. Smith or search for G. W. Smith in all documents.

Your search returned 23 results in 7 document sections:

en ordered not to stop in Williamsburg at all. Gens. G. W. Smith and D. H. Hill were ordered to resume the marcongstreet was to cover the trains. Accordingly, General Smith moved at the hour appointed, and General Hill's tronger line, made in obedience to an order from General Smith and showing no signs of disorder. Colonel McRaepose, however, was frustrated, for Franklin found G. W. Smith on the ground, and Whiting's division attacked hiank attack synchronous with Hill's front attack. G. W. Smith, in charge of the left wing, was to keep Sumner'sore than two hours of very hard fighting, says Gen. G. W. Smith, these four brigades, unaided, captured Cad conduct realized the dream of my life. When General Smith saw his brigades hotly engaged, and some of themgiment, which had been in reserve, into action. General Smith accompanied these troops, and he bears testimonytes it at 147. Regimental History. During General Smith's action, Guion's section of Manly's battery was
ps that McClellan's whole army was before them. When the cannon opened at Crampton's gap, General McLaws, who heard it from Maryland heights, attached no special significance to it. He says in his official report, I felt no particular concern about it . . . . . and General Stuart, who was with me on the heights and had just come in from above, told me that he did not believe there was more than a brigade of the enemy. This brigade turned out to be Slocum's division of Franklin's corps, and Smith's division of the same corps was soon added. The gap at that time was held only by Colonel Munford with two regiments of cavalry, Chew's battery, and a section of the Portsmouth naval battery, supported by two fragments of regiments of Mahone's brigade, under Colonel Parham. Colonel Munford reports that the two infantry regiments numbered scarcely 300. This small band made a most determined stand for three hours, for it had been directed to hold the gap at all hazards, and did not know th
e county bridge. As these regiments were in retreat, Lieut. George A. Graham, of the Twenty-third New York battery, dashed gallantly forward, and in spite of the efforts of Pool's men to reach him with their rifles, set fire to the bridge. Gen. G. W. Smith reported that as Clingman's regiments fell black, Gen. N. G. Evans arrived on the field with his South Carolina brigade, and assumed command. By his direction, the Fifty-first and Fifty-third, supported by Evans' Holcombe legion, made a chae afternoon engagement, General Foster withdrew his troops and returned to New Berne. The total Federal losses during this expedition were 591 killed and wounded. Rebellion Records, XVIII, p. 60. The total Confederate loss, as reported by General Smith, was 339. The North Carolina losses, with the exception of the Sixty-first regiment, from which there is no report, were 40 killed and 177 wounded. During the operations mentioned above, North Carolina was represented in the Western army
ke his line, leaving the arriving brigades of Doubleday's division free to form line of battle. General Heth reports that Colonel Connally and Maj. A. H. Belo, of the North Carolina regiment, bore themselves with conspicuous gallantry. Lieutenant-Colonel Smith was killed. The high spirit of Connally and his men is shown by an incident narrated by Capt. C. M. Cooke of this regiment. Colonel Connally, while the regiment was advancing, seized the battleflag and waved it encouragingly. He wasse. Ramseur's four North Carolina regiments were held in reserve. When Early's division reported, it went into action with Gordon on the right, next to Doles, Hays on his left, and Hoke's North Carolina brigade on the extreme Confederate left. Smith was in reserve. Johnson's division did not arrive in time for the afternoon battle. General Doubleday, commenting on the converging lines of A. P. Hill and Ewell, says: It would of course have been impossible to hold the line if Hill atta
y fell back. The account of this assault as given by Federal officers taking part in it show the terribly destructive fire of the Southern muskets. General Humphreys says: The assaulting was done by the Second, Sixth and Eighteenth corps. Promptly at the hour these corps advanced to the attack under heavy musketry and artillery fire, and carried the enemy's advanced rifle-pits. But then the fire became still hotter, and cross-fires of artillery swept through the ranks, from the right of Smith to the left of Hancock. Notwithstanding this destructive fire, the troops went forward close up to the main line of intrenchments, but not being able to carry them, quickly put themselves under cover. General McMahon says: The time of actual advance was not over eight minutes. In that little period more men fell bleeding as they advanced than in any other like period of time throughout the war. A strange and terrible feature of this battle was that as the three gallant corps moved on, ea
the army with all its artillery and trains was over the James. General Smith's corps was given the right of way over all other troops. On t of Kautzā€˜ cavalry and Hinks' negro division. These additions gave Smith, according to General Humphreys, chief of staff of the army of the Potomac, 16,100 men. Hancock's corps immediately followed Smith, and in his attack rendered him material assistance by relieving his men in ince the campaign began, their attacks were lacking in vigor. As Smith moved forward, on the 15th, his first opposition came from a slight of much experience in war. Dearing made a resolute fight to delay Smith as long as possible, and then sullenly withdrew inside the main wor's brigade, 2,400 strong, and Dearing's cavalry, within the lines. Smith's attack met a heavy loss, but carried the line of redans from No. ng of the 16th was, he states, 10,000 men of all arms. Hancock and Smith were joined by Burnside's corps about noon on the 16th, making an a
at Manassas Junction. His service at the glorious victory of July 21st was gratefully mentioned in the official report of General Johnston, and President Davis promoted him on the field to the rank of brigadier-general of volunteers. He was assigned to the command of the brigade of the lamented General Bee, his classmate at West Point, with which and Hood's brigade he handsomely dislodged Franklin's Federal division during the retreat from Yorktown. At Seven Pines he was in command of G. W. Smith's division, and by vigorous fighting prevented the junction of Sumner with Keyes. It is related by Major Fairly of his staff that Whiting suggested to General Lee the stratagem of reinforcing Jackson in the valley, to keep back reinforcements for McClellan while Jackson should move rapidly and strike the Federal flank, and that Whiting volunteered to take his brigade and Hood's and move to Staunton. Thence he returned at the head of Jackson's corps, and in the battle of Gaines' Mill ski