hin forty days from this seventeenth of June, 1830, he will no further prosecute this indictment.
In due time the building was removed, and the Square has since remained open and unobstructed.
The enclosure at the corner of North Avenue and Garden Street is generally supposed to be the most ancient burial-place in Cambridge.
It was used for that purpose as early as January, 4, 1635-6, when it was ordered, that the burying-place shall be paled in; whereof John Taylcot is to do 2 rod, Georg Steele 3 rod and a gate, Thomas Hosmer 3 rod, Mathew Allen 1 rod, and Andrew Warner appointed to get the remainder done at a public charge; and he is to have IIIs. a rod.
But at an earlier date, April 7, 1634, we find this record: Granted John Pratt two acres by the old burying-place, without the common pales.
This evidently refers to some spot devoted to the burial of the dead, earlier than the one then in use. Its location is not certainly known, yet it is indicated with some degree of proba