Your search returned 31 results in 12 document sections:

1 2
Yard on South street, northerly end of Curtis street. Here Paul Curtis established himself in 1839, and he remained here until he removed his business to East Boston. 8. Yard on South street, just above Winthrop-street bridge. Occupied by Jotham Stetson from 1833 to 1853. Luther Turner built one bark here in 1854. 9. Yard on South street, on land adjoining Boston & Lowell Railroad. Here Peter Lewis built one schooner in 1845. 10. Yard at Rock Hill landing, at the foot of the hill. Pshipbuilding of the town as shown by Mr. Usher's tables: builders.No. vessels. Thatcher Magoun84 C. Turner & E. Briggs3 Calvin Turner25 James Ford2 Sprague & James66 George Fuller29 E. & H. Rogers9 John Sparrell1 Samuel Lapham20 Jotham Stetson32 Curtis & Co.2 P. & J. O. Curtis6 Waterman & Ewell51 Foster & Taylor22 Paul Curtis27 James O. Curtis78 George H. Briggs1 Peter Lewis1 Henry Ewell9 John Taylor12 Joshua T. Foster42 Haydn & Cudworth39 B. F. Delano .2 Luther Turne
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 2., The second Congregational and Mystic churches. (search)
ance at any of the nine services held before the church was formally organized was one hundred and eighty-four. The organization was effected July 6, 1847, seven churches and four specially invited ministers composing the council. The sermon was by the Rev. Dr. Kirk, of the Mt. Vernon Church, and the address constituting the church was by the Rev. Dr. Edward Beecher of the Salem-street Church in Boston. The church consisted of sixty members. July 29 Nathaniel Jaquith, Galen James, Jotham Stetson and John Stetson were chosen deacons. All of them had held the same office in the mother church, and the last named, who had served in that church for eight years, continued faithfully to discharge the duties of the office till his death, in 1899, in the eighty-eighth year of his age. The Mystic Society was legally organized Aug. 13, 1847. The land on which the building now stands on Salem street was soon purchased, and a house capable of seating about five hundred persons was erect
ght this house of a Mrs. Hatch, living here until he died in 1873. He had charge of making all the ironwork used by Sprague & James in the building of their ships, and owned two or three shops, having many men to work for him. Paul Curtis, a name well-known. When serving time as apprentice he was called honest Paul. He was born in South Scituate, Dec. 26, 1800, and came to Medford at the age of eighteen, learning his trade of Thatcher Magoun. Living at first in a double house with Jotham Stetson off Ship street, on what was termed the Island, he afterward built and lived in the house next below Thatcher Magoun's (now Mrs. Reed's). In 1839 he moved to South street and in 1852 to East Boston. Mr. Curtis built twenty-seven vessels at Magoun's yard. In partnership with J. O. Curtis he built six, and continued building at East Boston. In all, his list of vessels reached a hundred. Waterman and Ewell succeeded Paul & J. O. Curtis at Magoun's yard. Mr. Foster Waterman was born i
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 6., The Lawrence Light Guard.—Continued. (search)
1903 by Mr. F. E. Chandler. Mr. Paul Curtis' yard was on the corner of South and Winthrop streets; he launched directly across the roadway. He built and occupied the large house with pillars, later occupied by Rev. Mr. Davis, pastor of the Universalist Church, and owned now by Mr. J. N. Cowin. Curtis street is named in remembrance of this ship builder. Mr. Davis removed to Cape Cod, and the vessel which was to carry his goods to the new home came to the very door to be loaded. Mr. Jotham Stetson's yard was above the Winthrop Note.—Old Clocks and Watches and their Makers by F. J. Britten (London, 1899) is valuable for facts concerning the general subject of time-pieces, while the results of the exhaustive researches of Dr. Irving Lyon, given in his Colonial Furniture (Boston, 1890, now unfortunately out of print), should be studied by those desiring to learn the state of the art in the Colonies. As to hall clocks, consult in addition Notes on Long Case Clocks, in Studio Mag
vid Kimball,5 Thatcher Magoun, Jr.,5 Henry Porter,5 Joseph Manning, Jr.,5 George W. Porter,5 George L. Stearns5 Thomas R. Peck,5 S. P. Heywood,5 Dudley Hall,5 B. M. Clark,1 Thomas H. Floyd,3 No. of Shares Thatcher Magoun,10 Nathaniel H. Bishop,10 Andrew Blanchard, Jr.,5 Samuel Kidder,5 Turell Tufts,10 Isaac Sprague,5 Francis R. Bigelow,5 John W. Mulliken,5 Joseph and Milton James,5 Jonathan Porter,5 Waterman & Ewell,2 Nathan Sawyer,2 Isaac and James Wellington,2 Jotham Stetson,3 Isaac H. Haskins,2 James O. Curtis,2 Abner Bartlett,1 Abigail Whitney,5 Under this association, which had for its main purpose the keeping of a temperance house, the building was enlarged. In the upper story of the ell was a large and commodious dance hall. The first landlord under this new arrangement was Mr. Marcus Whitney, and he was succeeded by Messrs. David Carleton and James Bride. The movement for the keeping of a temperance house failed, and in the year 1845 the est
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 9., The dedication of the soldiers' monument. (search)
, but we cull the following extracts, which contain words worth consideration today. H. T. W. soldiers, neighbors, and fellow-citizens, You all know why we have come to this city of the dead. Upon the sides of this solid and beautiful cenotaph are graven, in letters of stone, the following names:— Lieut. Col. J. G. Chambers, Lieut., William H. Burbank, Edward Gustine, L. M. Fletcher, Frank A. Keen, E. Sprague, D. T. Newcomb, D. Nolan, A. H. Stacy, D. McGillicuddy, S. Harding, J. Stetson, J. M Powers, C. W. Willis, F. Curtin, James Haley, J. P. Hubbell, James Bierne, A. Joyce, Patrick Gleason, Augustus Tufts, R. Livingston, F. J. Curtis, B. J. Ellis, H. G. Currell, E. Ireland, William H. Rogers, William Harding, H. R. Hathaway, H. Mills, G. H. Lewis, J. M. Garrett, Probably a misprint. Carret? D. S. Cheney, R. W. Cheslyn, M. O'Connell, Sergt. S. M. Stevens, Sergt. J. T. Morrison, J. M. Fletcher, E. B. Hatch, R. C. Hathaway, G. H. Champlin, C. H. Coolidge, S. W. Joyce.
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 9., The Bradburys of Medford and their ancestry. (search)
ary Ellen, Harriet, daughters of Capt. William King. Helen, Elizabeth, Frances, daughters of George W. Porter. Susan Emily, Henry, children of Henry Porter. Mary, Anne, daughters of Jonathan Porter. The last two were boarders while their parents were in Europe. Chastina, Ellen, Rebecca, daughters of Isaac Sprague, the ship builder. Three daughters of George Fuller, the ship builder. Harriet, daughter of Milton James. Mary, daughter of Gilbert Blanchard. Abbie, daughter of Jotham Stetson. Mary, daughter of Bela Cushing. Ann Eliza, daughter of Jonathan Perkins. Hepzibah, daughter of Dudley Hall. Susan, daughter of Henry Withington. Carrie, daughter of Oliver Blake, whose successor in the dry goods business here was the late Jonas Coburn. Janet, daughter of Andrew Blanchard. She was born in this house, Medford Historical Society's Building. and after marriage lived in the one now numbered twenty-eight Ashland street. Hannah Wyman, daughter of the stage driver, w
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 15., The Walnut Tree Hill division of the stinted pasture. (search)
own that he had stopped up a rangeway running through his farm and he was ordered to open the way forthwith. There is no evidence that this order was complied with. The ancient ford was situated at the Medford end of this rangeway. The second way is laid out as a public way and is known as Curtis street in the City of Somerville and Winthrop street in the City of Medford. Near this rangeway and close to the river stood the house of James Tufts, also the shipyards of Paul Curtis and Jotham Stetson. The third way is also a public way and is known as North street in both cities. This street, as laid out, varies somewhat from the location of the rangeway. Prior to the laying out of these two ways they were encroached upon and in some places entirely closed by the adjoining owners. The third rangeway was sometimes called Cook's lane. There are four ways leading westerly from the third rangeway, two of them to the marshes through land of Lieut. John Cutler. The third way was
nd Sables families. Deacon Galen James' pew and that of the minister were in the body of the house on the east side. On the other side sat Messrs. Elisha Hayden, Joseph James, Eleazer Boynton, Mr. Nahum Mitchell and the two deacons John and Jotham Stetson, with their families. In west wall pews sat Mr. John Russell, Mr. William Haskins and Captain Redman. These were all neighbors of ours in the church, for we sat in the front pew. The pews were yellow with trimmings of dark wood. The cushioMaria Stetson succeeded her. The infant room was where it is now, but in the main vestry, the superintendent's platform was on the west side instead of the north, as at present. There was a Bible Class in the northwest corner, taught by Dea. Jotham Stetson. We must not tarry too long at the church, for next door is the bakery, where the horse in the treadmill in some mysterious way assisted in the manufacture of Medford crackers. Back of the house occupied by Mr. Henry Withington were the o
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 17., An old Medford school boy's reminiscences. (search)
p voice, Oyez, oyez. We did not know what Mr. James meant, and perhaps he did not either, but it sounded sympathetic and so we became quieter. The high school numbered far more girls than boys. I remember well Rebecca, Chastina, Garaphylia and Esmeralda, the four pretty daughters of Isaac Sprague, a leading ship builder; Caroline Blake, daughter of Oliver Blake, a dry goods merchant; Maria Fuller, daughter of George Fuller, a ship builder of South street; Harriet Stetson, daughter of Jotham Stetson, another ship builder on the same street; Mary Peck and Lucy Peck, daughters of Thos. R. Peck of the hat factory, all nice girls, but I fear none remain to hear me say so. As the high school did not fit for college James Hervey, Albert F. Sawyer and myself left it about 1843 for the private academy of Mr. Day on Forest street, successor to John Angier. He gave us good instruction, but his school was very small and could not give us the habit of forceful recital and expression which t
1 2