ngham and Mrs. F. M. Davis were the managers of the Milton Branch of the Sanitary Commission, through which their contributions were chiefly sent to the front, and through the Soldiers-Aid Depot in Boston, under the charge of Mrs. Harrison Gray Otis.
Incorporated Nov. 5, 1711.
Population in 1860, 2,658; in 1865, 2,793.
Valuation in 1860, $1,604,985; in 1865, $1,798,498.
The selectmen during the years 1861, 1862, 1863, 1864, and 1865 were Galen Orr, Silas G. Williams, Augustus Stevens.
The town-clerk and town-treasurer during the same years was Solomon Flagg.
1861. The first legal town-meeting to consider matters relating to the war was held on the 29th of April, at which it was voted to pay each citizen who shall enlist in the military service fifteen dollars a month for six months, or such part of that term as he shall continue in the service, the payment to begin when he shall be mustered into the service.
A military committee of four persons was chosen to