ey raised and expended by the town for the payment of State aid to soldiers' families, and which was afterwards repaid by the Commonwealth, was as follows: In 1861, $179.62; in 1862, $746.57; in 1863, $785.00; in 1864, $658.80; in 1865, $200.00. Total amount, $2,569.99.
Incorporated September 18, 1762.
Population in 1860, 677; in 1865, 696.
Valuation in 1860, $277,868; in 1865, $254,600.
The selectmen in 1861 were Warren Shaw, S. V. R. Smith, William L. Needham; in 1862, Adams Stewart, Eden D. Shaw, Warren Needham; in 1863, 1864, and 1865, Absalom Gardner, C. D. Brewer, Warren Shaw.
The town-clerk and town-treasurer during all of these years was G. S. Rogers.
1862. The first legal town-meeting to consider questions in relation to the war was held August 18th, at which it was voted to pay a bounty of one hundred dollars to each volunteer for three years service who enlists and is credited to the quota of the town, and to refund all moneys paid by the citizens to