Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 7. (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for Strong or search for Strong in all documents.

Your search returned 32 results in 4 document sections:

n was sent into the lines to receive the surrender. He met General Pemberton at an old stone house about half a mile from the lines, and had conversed some minutes when General Grant rode upon the ground. After a brief consultation they rode into the town. Major-General Logan had already received orders to march into the town and establish a provost-guard. This was, perhaps, a fitting token of the appreciation of that officer's wonderful earnestness and gallantry in the siege. Lieutenant-Colonel Strong and Colonel Coalbagh, aids to General McPherson, rode on in advance with the National flag, which was hoisted over the Court-House, and its folds flung to the breeze at half-past 11 o'clock. The crowd which followed them sung out in stirring tones the well-known song, Rally round the flag, and as the last echoes died away the town clock chimed the hour of noon. The ceremony was complete, the majesty of the national emblem was vindicated in the midst of its erratic and rebellious c
together. We met with no further interruption (the rice-fields on each side being indefensible) till within two miles of the railroad bridge, Here the Dean unluckily grounded again, and all efforts to get her off being fruitless, I signalled Major Strong, on board the tug, to proceed upward to the bridge. He soon found himself under the fire, at two hundred and fifty yards, of a six-gun field-battery planted that morning on the shore, and, after a severe engagement, in which my vessel could ranies of the First regiment S. C. volunteers--companies A, B, G, and K--with a detachment of twenty men from company C, who nobly and fearlessly worked the guns on board the gunboat Enoch Dean. The little steamer Governor Milton, commanded by Major Strong, First S. C. V., was armed with two brass twelve-pounder Armstrongs from the Connecticut battery, commanded by Lieutenant Clinton, First Connecticut battery. The John Adams had on board two twenty-four pounder rifles and two twenty-four pound
hat a very small one, under the command of General Strong, were engaged; in that of last evening a wments before the first assault was made by General Strong, the Admiral ran the Montauk directly undew words in consultation, and Generals Seymour, Strong, Stevenson, and Colonels Putnam and Montgomery brigades move to their appointed work. General Strong, who has so frequently since his arrival iperation, and so did the larger portion of General Strong's brigade, as long as there was an officerighest commissioned officer to command it. General Strong, Colonel Shaw, Colonel Chatfield, Colonel n. The First brigade, under the lead of General Strong, failed to take the Fort. It was now the two miles beyond. I had been the guest of General Strong, who commanded the advance, since Tuesday.ed for the transfer of the Fifty-fourth to General Strong's brigade. So when the troops were brough march for Fort Wagner. They reached Brigadier-General Strong's quarters about midway on the Island[14 more...]
ake in the night, each officer and man had on his left arm a white badge three inches wide. General Strong was to embark two thou. sand men in boats, and take them up Folly River in the Lighthouse Is in good time, preceded by eight boat-howitzers from the gunboats; the first boat contained General Strong and staff, and then came the battalion of the Seventh Connecticut volunteers. General Gilrs. We bivouacked for the night under easy range of Fort Wagner. About half-past 2 A. M. General Strong came and called the Lieutenant-Colonel out. He soon returned and said: Turn out! We have gos fired, then follow them close and rush for the works, and we were promised ready support. General Strong gave the order: Aim low, and put your trust in God. Forward the Seventh! And forward we weand but one man came in afterward, and he was delayed in assisting a wounded comrade. Met General Strong coming off, and with tears in his eyes he said we had done our whole duty, and covered ourse