hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Edward L. Pierce, Memoir and letters of Charles Sumner: volume 1 4 0 Browse Search
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 2. 2 0 Browse Search
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 23. 2 0 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 8 results in 3 document sections:

Edward L. Pierce, Memoir and letters of Charles Sumner: volume 1, Chapter 1: Ancestry. (search)
who was the father of Charles Pinckney Sumner, and the grandfather of Charles Sumner. The following are reliable authorities concerning the genealogy of the Sumner Family: Memoir of Increase Sumner, Governor of Massachusetts, by his son, William H. Sumner: together with a genealogy of the Sumner Family, prepared by William B. Trask; Boston, 1854. New England Historical and Genealogical Register, April, 1854, and October, 1855. History of East Boston, by William H. Sumner; Boston, 1858; pp. 2William H. Sumner; Boston, 1858; pp. 278-307 (with a drawing of the St. Edburg Church). History of Dorchester; Boston, 1859. The Sumners who remained in Dorchester and Milton during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries were generally farmers, owning considerable estates in fee-simple, and blessed beyond the usual measure with large families of children. The Jacob or Jacobs family,—the maternal ancestors of Charles Sumner,—begins with Nicholas Jacob, who came to this country from Hingham, England, in 1633, settled in Wat
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 2., A business man of long ago. (search)
rd, who testified that his opposition to the government had never been active, the property was kept together, and at about the beginning of this century it was restored to the Royall family. In 1804 Robert Fletcher, of Amherst, N. H., Samuel Dexter, of Roxbury, and Fitch Hall, son of Benjamin Hall, negotiated to purchase the Royall estate in Medford and Foxborough. Before the sale was completed Robert Fletcher withdrew from the syndicate, assigning his share to Samuel Dexter and William H. Sumner. Fitch Hall sold his share (one-third) to Benjamin Hall of Medford, Esquire, Ebenezer Hall of the same place, Tanner, and Benjamin Hall junior of the same place, Merchant, for $24,000. The estate in Medford then consisted of about five hundred twenty acres on the west side of Mystic River, about fifty acres north of the Great Brick Yard, and a Pew in the Meeting House in Medford. Bills of exchange were sent to London Oct. 21, 1805, and the deeds were passed from Henry Hutton and
reholder had more than five shares. It allowed them to hold real estate to the value of ten thousand dollars, and fixed the rate of toll at one-sixteenth of a dollar per ton; toll was to commence as soon as the canal was completed. It also gave specific direction as to construction and maintenance of a bridge for the Medford turnpike. This branch canal was of necessity at a lower level than the other and required two locks for its operation. Land was purchased of Samuel Dexter and William H. Sumner (owners of Royall estate), seven and one-half acres and two rods for $751.25, and was to revert to the grantors if disused for two years. A storage basin The area of this is still noticeable near Mystic avenue. was constructed on this land, beside the main canal, with a side lock, or gates, in the embankment to give access thereto. Mr. Hooper, who when a boy lived nearby on the turnpike, says the lock was a big timber-framed box between two heavy stone walls which were several f