hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events, Diary from December 17, 1860 - April 30, 1864 (ed. Frank Moore) 11 1 Browse Search
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 35. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones) 2 0 Browse Search
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 7. (ed. Frank Moore) 1 1 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 14 results in 3 document sections:

ls Hobson and Pennebaker and the remainder citizens, all under command of Captain Sam Taylor, from Camp Andy Johnson, in Kentucky, approached the residence of Cy. Hutnd who were thoroughly prepared to receive them. The first intimation that Captain Taylor received of the presence of the enemy came in the form of a peremptory ordeplank fence. The order to halt was followed by a discharge of musketry ere Captain Taylor had time to form his squad for action. Under a galling fire, however, CaptCaptain Taylor's gallant party dismounted and formed in battle array, promptly returning the enemy's fire with Enfield rifles and Colt's navy revolvers. The rebels were at least four of the number were killed, and that several were wounded. Of Captain Taylor's command, three were reported killed-Frank Lacey, orderly of Captain TayloCaptain Taylor's company, private Michael Lisle, and a citizen whose name is not known.--Louisville Journal, Oct. 15. Five hundred men of the Piatt Zouaves occupied the town
ur brave boys; notwithstanding which, when the gallant patriot, young Lieutenant Tom Morgan, a brother to our General, and the idol of the command, fell, loud and deep were the maledictions that ascended against the cowardly cravens for seeking shelter in dwelling-houses, and the question was raised as to their right to receive quarter. The enemy lost nine killed and fifteen wounded; our loss, three killed and six wounded. Rapid marches brought us to Bradensburgh on the seventh, where Captain Sam Taylor, of the old Rough and Ready family, had succeeded in capturing two fine steamers. From eight A. M., on the eighth, until seven A. M., on the ninth, was consumed in fighting back the Federal gunboats, whipping out three hundred home-guards, with artillery, on the Indiana shore, and crossing the command. The first was accomplished by Captain Byrne with his battery, two Parrotts, and two twelve-pound howitzers; the second, by an advance regiment, capturing the guards, and securing a spl
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 35. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), chapter 1.38 (search)
s sweet restorer on the veranda of a roadside residence, and awoke to find himself in the hands of the pursuing Federal cavalry. From Bardstown the Confederates marched rapidly to Brandenburg, on the Ohio River, forty miles below Louisville. Crossing the River. When the column reached Brandenburg, early in the morning of July 8, General Morgan was delighted to find two good steamboats lying at the wharf, the transports having been secured by two of his most adventuresome captains, Sam Taylor and Clay Meriwether, who had been sent in advance for that purpose. Impatient of delay, Morgan made immediate preparations to cross the river. A dense fog prevented his seeing what was on the other side, but he knew that a strong force of determined Federal cavalry was close upon his rear. A shot from a rifled cannon and a volley of musketry announced the presence of an unseen enemy on the Indiana shore. The disappearing mist, however, soon revealed a small force of combatants, pre