Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 10. (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for R. Taylor or search for R. Taylor in all documents.

Your search returned 38 results in 10 document sections:

d to, and the bill passed. On the seventh, the Senate, on motion of Mr. Lane, of Indiana, took it up for consideration. Mr. Wilson moved to amend the bill, so that the commissary-general, who was to have the rank a brigadier-general, should be appointed by selection, and the other officers by regular promotion. Mr. Lane, of Indiana, Mr. Ten Eyck, Mr. Lane, of Kansas, and Mr. Howe opposed the amendment, and Mr. Grimes and Mr. Wilson advocated it, not in opposition to the promotion of Colonel Taylor, the Commissary-General, but upon the ground that general officers were appointed by selection. Mr. Wilkinson was opposed to the bill and the amendment. Mr. Wilson modified his amendment so that the commissary-general should be selected from the commissary department; and it was then agreed to, and the bill passed. On the same day, the House, on motion of Mr. Buffinton, of Massachusetts, concurred in the Senate amendment, and the bill was passed, and it was approved on the ninth of Fe
terest occurred, my command being occupied only in constructing, in part, one or two batteries on our front, and picketing on the canal in front of the house of Dr. Taylor, and thence on the Rappahannock above, some three fourths of a mile. The enemy's camps were visible on the far side of the Rappahannock, upon our arrival, and r of the forest, and near the edge of an open field, fronting the river and the town, my left resting upon the river, one hundred and fifty yards to the left of Dr. Taylor's house, and then extending to the right across the road, on the right of Dr. Taylor's, leading into town, and thence along the base of the hill upon which LaneDr. Taylor's, leading into town, and thence along the base of the hill upon which Lane's battery, to the rear, was placed, crossed a deep ravine, and then bearing slightly to the rear of the Whitworth gun of Lane's battery, and then crossing another ravine, reached to Huger's battery, the right of my line. Four regiments occupied this line, and the fifth was held in rear of the centre of this line. General Wrig
chains and started off again. They were missed in about an hour, but they were not caught for two days. They travelled forty-five miles the night they left. Major Taylor, the officer in command, told them that he had orders to shoot them, but that if they promised him that they would not run away again, he would let them off; sost of them were finished, we were again ordered to change camp, and go to a permanent one for the winter, on the Seawillows, thirty miles from where we were. Major Taylor waited for a rainy day, and then ordered us to march and keep in ranks, or he would order the guard to shoot us down. Now, we could not march in ranks on accoroled sure, and leave the state. We all gave three cheers for the Union, and every one knocked off work and got ready for a move. We heard the order read by old Taylor; he had changed completely from savage to mild, but we knew the old rascal too well to trust him. We started back the next day and got to Camp Worth, near San Ant
mbered this force, but maintained a safe distance, and were soon scattered by spherical case. They then crossed for an attack upon the left of the camp, when Captain Taylor, with Company A, of the rangers, was sent to oppose them. He held a largely superior force in check, until reinforced by Lieutenant-Colonel Averill, with twoed up on his saddle. An ambulance was promptly sent out, which met the body of Doctor Weiser, being brought in on a horse. The first battalion of cavalry--Captains Taylor, Wilson, and Anderson's companies — was promptly ordered to the scene of Doctor Weiser's death, where the scouts were skirmishing with the Indians. They founf the Indians, swept around to the southward and pursued the Indians into and through the ridges and ravines on the east of the range, while Major Bradley and Captains Taylor and Anderson pressed them hotly on the west side. Captain Wilson, of the cavalry, crossed to the right of the mound, and pursued some Indians that separated
efficient and gallant conduct of the staff officers with me, Captain R. Taylor, A. A. general, and First Lieutenant Richard Walke, ordnance of my pickets (infantry) came running from the canal in front of Dr. Taylor's, to report to me that the enemy were advancing up the road betwstant. Gathering in my pickets along the canal and at the dam above Taylor's — in all less than twenty men — they were deployed as skirmishers on the crest of the hill in front of Dr. Taylor's, and near the canal. Two rifle pieces of Huger's battery, already prepared to move to Chanlle, were ordered into position in the battery across the road form Taylor's. While these dispositions were being made, our infantry were seene intention of the enemy, and ordered them in the ravine opposite Dr. Taylor's, where they would be near, and yet out of sight. I now rode d all moved to the rear on the river road, half a mile in rear of Dr. Taylor's, where they were halted for a few minutes. In this affair wi
e; Captains Puryear, Callum, and Bonds, and Lieutenants Cunningham, Leonard, Flynn, and Shaw, Eighth Tennessee regiment; Lieutenants Potter, Owen, and Worthington, Sixteenth Tennessee regiment; Captain McDonald, and Lieutenants Apple, Dauley, and Taylor, Twenty-eighth Tennessee regiment; Adjutant Caruthers, Lieutenants Banks and Ridout, Thirty-eighth Tennessee regiment, and Captain Burton, Lieutenants Billings, Chester, White, Hainey, Tillman, and Wade, Fifty-first and Fifty-second Tennessee regide on any other field. They were not permitted to advance, and would not retire, but, as brave men and good soldiers, they obeyed the orders of their General and held the hill. Lieutenant-Colonel Anderson, Lieutenant-Colonel Hutchinson, and Major Taylor, remained constantly on the line, handled their commands with ability, and conducted themselves gallantly through the entire action. I most respectfully refer you to the reports of subordinate commanders for particular acts of gallantry, li
n ordered to support. A part of General McCook's wing of the army had fallen back with the rest, but through the woods and fields, with great difficulty, bravely brought off the cannon it could no longer defend on the field. When I met it, it faced about and formed line of battle with cheers and shouts. To Lieutenant McDowell, my acting Assistant Adjutant-General; Lieutenant Armstrong, Second Kentucky cavalry; Lieutenant Millard, Nineteenth United States infantry, Inspector-General; Captain Taylor, Fifteenth Kentucky, and Lieutenant Alf. Pirtle, Ordnance Officer, my regular Aids, and to Captain John D. Wickliffe and Lieutenant W. G. Jenkins, both of Second Kentucky cavalry, Aids for that battle, I am much indebted for services on that field. The wounded were kindly and tenderly cared for by the Third Division Medical Director, Surgeon Muscroft, and the other surgeons of the command. Lieutenant McDowell was wounded. My Orderlies, James Emery and the rest, went through the w
in E. Powell, A. Q. M., at Natchez: Forward the following to Lieutenant-General Smith, or Major-General Taylor, viz.: For the want of the necessary transportation, I cannot operate effectually on the a second communication, through the same medium, as follows: Lieutenant-General Smith, or Major-General Taylor: The enemy are cutting a passage from near Young's Point to Bayou Vidal, to reach the Misas soon as possible, what point will suit you best. Your dispatch of the twelfth received. General Taylor with eight thousand men will endeavor to open communication with you from Richmond. June 22, 1863. Your dispatch of the fifteenth received. General Taylor is sent by General E. K. Smith to co-operate with you from the west bank of the river, to throw in supplies, and to cross with ather than surrender the garrison endeavor to cross the river at the last moment, if you and General Taylor communicate. Late in the afternoon of the twenty-fifth the enemy exploded his first mine
nel Ferrell fell while urging his men forward; He was at least twenty yards in advance of his command. I fear he will never again be able to take the field. In him we lose a gallant officer. Lieutenant-Colonel Leigh of the Forty-third Mississippi fell while gallantly leading his wing of the regiment. Major McQuiddy was severely wounded. Major Vaughn, of the Sixth Missouri, was killed. While leading this charge several officers of the line were killed, among whom were the following: Captain Taylor, Captain McKinney, and Captain Graves. After the enemy fell back and the firing ceased, we gathered up the wounded and advanced our lines some two hundred yards beyond where the enemy had fought us, and slept on our arms all night. About daylight, leaving our skirmishers out, we fell back about one hundred yards under cover of the hill, in order to get some refreshments. Before we were done eating the enemy opened their batteries, upon us most furiously. Just at this time I rec
emy's transports. That night I received General Taylor's instructions to march my division to Berg of truce to deliver a communication from General Taylor to General Grant, returned and reported thion. Respectfully, your obedient servant, R. Taylor, Major-General. P. S.--Nothing of the b, with the remark, that the boats of which General Taylor speaks in the P. S., met the enemy's gunbowar. Respectfully, your obedient servant, R. Taylor, Major-General. Report of Brigadier-Genetter officer until the attack had been made. R. Taylor, Major-General commanding. Report of Bris to attack the enemy wherever he finds him. R. Taylor, Major-General, commanding. Report of Cascer in the field, under my own observations. R. Taylor. Report of Colonel Major. headquarte country will be promoted by his promotion. R. Taylor, Major-General, commanding. Report of Ma be brought to the notice of the Government. R. Taylor, Major-General, commanding. Report of Br[2 more...]