hide Matching Documents

Your search returned 9 results in 5 document sections:

Benson J. Lossing, Pictorial Field Book of the Civil War. Volume 3., Chapter 3: political affairs.--Riots in New York.--Morgan's raid North of the Ohio. (search)
daylight on the morning of the 9th, Hobson and his little army were on Indiana soil. At the same time, a greater portion of General Judah's division, stationed in the section of Kentucky between the Cumberland and Barren rivers, had been concentrated and put in motion for the capture of Morgan. These consisted chiefly of Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, and Kentucky cavalry, and went up the Ohio River in boats to intercept the raiders. Morgan pushed northward to Corydon, the capital of Harrison County, before which he appeared on the afternoon of the 9th. There he was resisted by the Home Guards; but these were overpowered, the town was pillaged, citizens were murdered, three hundred horses were seized, and a new system of plunder was inaugurated, by demanding of the owner of each mill and factory one thousand dollars in currency, as a condition of the safety of his property from the flames. Having completed his work at Corydon, Morgan pushed on to Salem, the capital of Washington
d order, though in haste. The fighting was desperate, and although our loss is small, yet gallant and brave men have gone from us forever. Our killed and wounded amount to twelve or fifteen, while that of the enemy number between seventy-five and one hundred--among them some eight or ten officers. We had no means of ascertaining the names of all the rebels killed and wounded; but among the number wounded mortally is a son of George D. Prentice, of Louisville. Captain W. Rogers, of Harrison County, was killed, and a Lieutenant Wilson. The rebels left some of their killed and wounded in our hands, all of whom have been properly cared for. They took our horses, buggies, wagons, and all means of transportation to carry off their dead and wounded. Among the killed on the Union side was Dr. W. Taylor, M. B. Worthington, John B. Story, George Byers, Oliver Stairs, John Eiphart, John Perkins, and William Gregg. The prisoners were all taken from town as rapidly as they could march
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Kansas, (search)
kfort, Postmaster-General......March 7, 1861 Governor Magoffin answers a War Department call for troops: I say emphatically, Kentucky will furnish no troops for the wicked purpose of subduing her sister Southern States ......April 15, 1861 Union meeting at Louisville declared that Kentucky would not take sides, but maintain a neutral position and remain loyal until the government became the aggressor......April 18, 1861 Capt. Joseph Desha, with a company of over 100 men, leaves Harrison county to join the Confederates, with several other companies from other counties......April, 1861 At an election of delegates to the Border State convention the vote was overwhelmingly in favor of the Union......May 4, 1861 Three Union men and three Breckinridge men as arbitrators agree that Kentucky should not take part, but maintain armed neutrality......May 11, 1861 House of Representatives resolves on State neutrality......May 16, 1861 Governor Magoffin proclaims armed neutral
Col. J. Stoddard Johnston, Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 9.1, Kentucky (ed. Clement Anselm Evans), Chapter 3: (search)
their history in detail The first Kentuckians to leave the State for service in the Confederate army were two companies from Louisville, under command of Capts. Ben Anderson and Fred Van Osten. They embarked on a steamer for New Orleans, April 20, 1861. At Columbus they were joined by Capt. Jack Thompson's company, and became the Third Kentucky battalion, under command of Capt. Anderson, who was a graduate of West Point On the 25th of April a company under Capt. Joseph Desha, from Harrison county, and three companies from Louisville under Capts. John D. Pope, J. B. Harvey and M. Lapielle, left Louisville for Nashville. They numbered about three hundred men. At Nashville they were joined by two companies from southwest Kentucky under Captains Edward Crossland and Brownson, and proceeded to Harper's Ferry. The companies of Captain Pope, who was a veteran of the Mexican war, and Captain Desha, were formed into a battalion of rifle-sharpshooters under Captain Pope, who was made m
From Missouri — the Lincoln arms in Kentucky. Louisville, Aug. 17. --We have received no news from St. Louis to-day. The anxiety is intense, and the impression that Gen. Siegel's Federal forces have been cut off is gaining ground. Lack of pointed information as to his position, and the condition of his forces, confirms the suspicion that dispatches relative to his progress were pure fictions. A committee of the citizens of Harrison county, Ky., to-day called on the President of the Covington and Kentucky Railroad Company, and protested against the transportation of Lincoln guns. If such work was continued, the citizens were determined to clear the track. Three cannon and several car-loads of guns and ammunition en route were returned to Covington.