Your search returned 30 results in 15 document sections:

1 2
men. Much labor had been expended on this fort, and it was thought to be impregnable, but adverse circumstances destroyed all our hopes regarding it. Fort St. Philip was on the east or left bank of the river, nearly opposite Fort Jackson, seventy miles below the city, and, being a heavy casemated fort, was intended for over one hundred guns. It was bombarded by the English in 1812; it had accommodated four hundred men. Fort Livingstone was situated on Grand Terre Island, at the mouth of Barrataria Bay, and was destined for twenty or more guns. Fort Pike--was a casemate fortification, placed at the Rigolettes, or North Pass, between Lake Borgue and Lake Pontchartrain, commanding the entrance to.the lake, and the main channel to the gulf in that direction. The amount of its armament I could never learn; Fort Macomb guarded the South Pass, between Lakes Borgue and Pontchartrain, and had a dozen or more guns. Fort Dupre was a small fort commanding Bayou Dupre into Lake Borgue. Procto
Benson J. Lossing, Pictorial Field Book of the Civil War. Volume 1., Chapter 7: Secession Conventions in six States. (search)
ary 10. It was in charge of a man named Dart, who had a few negroes at work there. Dart gladly gave the fort into the custody of the Louisiana Foot Rifles, who garrisoned it in the name of the State. Fort Jackson was taken possession of on the same evening, at nine o'clock. Sergeant Smith, of the National Army, gave the keys to the insurgents, under protest, and a company of the Washington Artillery took possession of the fort. At the same time, Fort Livingston, on Grand Terre Island, Barataria Bay, was seized by State troops; and on the 20th of the month, the unfinished fort on Ship Island, off the coast of Mississippi, was seized, and held by the insurgents. Another unfinished fort (Clinch) on Amelia Island, off the coast of Georgia, was taken possession of by insurgents of that State. The troops detailed for the capture of the Government Arsenal and Barracks at Baton Rouge left New Orleans on the evening of the 9th, on the steamer National, and arrived at their destination t
Admiral David D. Porter, The Naval History of the Civil War., Chapter 45: the cruise of the Sumter and the havoc she committed. (search)
andant, made up his mind that it would be best not to coerce any ship belonging to the Southern Confederacy, for fear that these modern representatives of Drake and Morgan might follow the example of their illustrious predecessors if interfered with, and left Semmes to do pretty much as he pleased. The Abby Bradford was sent in charge of a prize-crew to New Orleans, to report her arrival to Commodore Rousseau, delivering to him the prize-papers, seals unbroken, etc. The vessel reached Barrataria Bay, but was recaptured by the Powhatan, Lieutenant D. D. Porter, and restored to her owners. Semmes did not burn the Abby Bradford, because, as he says, I only resorted to that practice when it became evident there was nothing else to do. As soon as Lieutenant Porter ascertained from the crew of the Abby Bradford the whereabouts of the Sumter, he obtained the permission of Flag-officer McKean, and started in pursuit of the Confederate vessel, following her from port to port to the coast
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 3. (ed. Frank Moore), Doc. 68. operations of the Gulf fleet. (search)
Doc. 68. operations of the Gulf fleet. Report of Com. Alden. U. S. Steamer South Carolina, S. W. Pass, Oct. 4, 1861. sir: I have to report that the two schooners brought here by me were captured by us. The first, the Ezilda, was taken on the 30th ultimo, four or five miles from land, with the Timbalier light bearing W. 1/2 S., about thirteen miles. The other, the Joseph H. Toone, we caught, after a hard chase of five or six hours, at the entrance of Barrataria Bay. As soon as she discovered us she stood to the S. W. They both claim to be English vessels. The first, the Ezilda, was cleared for Matamoras, by T. O. Sullivan, of Cork, Ireland, and the log is signed by him, but it appears he left her before she sailed, and when captured by us she was cornmanded by an ex-United States Naval officer, Wm. Anderson Hicks, of Mississippi, who resigned from the Naval Academy at Annapolis, in March last, and was an officer on board the Sumter when she left the Mississippi. He had c
ter transferring to the Preble the officers and men of the Vincennes who had taken refuge on board our vessel, the Water Witch was next engaged in another unsuccessful attempt to get that ship afloat, Commander Handy, with the greater part of his crew, having returned on board. During the afternoon the steamer McClellan arrived from Fort Pickens with two Parrott guns, which were immediately placed on board the Richmond, and about four P. M. the Water Witch was despatched by Captain Pope to communicate with the steamers South Carolina and Huntsville, (in Barrataria and Berwick bays,) taking verbal orders to Commander Alden to proceed to Pass à l'outre, and to Commander Price to join the Richmond at Southwest Pass. Regretting my inability to communicate more briefly a faithful detail of the events of the day, I have the honor to remain, with much respect, your obedient servant, Francis Winslow, Lieutenant Commanding. Flag-officer Wm. W. Mckean, Commanding Gulf Blockading Squadron.
ls. I will cause Lieut. Wietzel, of the engineers, to make a detailed report of their condition to the Department. I have left the Twenty-sixth regiment Massachusetts volunteers in garrison, and am now going up the river to occupy the city with my troops, and make further demonstrations in the rear of the enemy now at Corinth. The rebels have abandoned all their defensive works in and around New-Orleans, including Forts Pike and Wood, on Lake Ponchartrain, and Fort Livingston from Barataria Bay. They have retired in the direction of Corinth, beyond Manchac Pass, and abandoned everything up the river as far as Donaldsonville, some seventy miles beyond New-Orleans. I propose to so far depart from the letter of my instructions as to endeavor to persuade the Flag-Officer to pass up the river as far as the mouth of Red River, if possible, so as to cut off their supplies, and make there a landing and a demonstration in their rear as a diversion in favor of Gen. Buell, if a decisi
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Louisiana, (search)
and St. Philip on the Mississippi, below the city, then in charge of Major Beauregard; also Fort Pike, on Lake Pontchartrain, and the arsenal at Baton Rouge. A part of General Palfrey's division went down the river in a steam-vessel, and on the evening of Jan. 10, 1861, the commander of Fort St. Philip (Dart) surrendered it; but the commander of Fort Jackson (Sergeant Smith), which surrendered, gave up the keys under protest. State troops seized Fort Livingston, on Grand Terre Island, Barataria Bay, at the same time, and on the 20th the unfinished fort on Ship Island was seized and held by the Confederates. Troops left New Orleans, 300 in number, under Colonel Walton, on the evening of Dec. 9, in a steamvessel, and on the following evening arrived at Baton Rouge to seize the arsenal, then in command of Major Haskin. He was compelled to surrender it on the 11th. By this act the Confederates were put in possession of 50,000 small-arms, four howitzers, twenty pieces of heavy ordnan
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), United States of America. (search)
Admiral Lord Gambier, Henry Goulbourn, and William Adams, British commissioners, at Ghent, Belgium......Aug. 8, 1814 Creek Indians, by treaty, surrender a great part of their territory to the United States......Aug. 9, 1814 Banks in the District of Columbia suspend......Aug. 27, 1814 John Armstrong, Secretary of War, resigns......Sept. 3, 1814 [He was blamed for the capture of Washington.] Third session convenes......Sept. 19, 1814 A resort of pirates and smugglers at Barataria Bay broken up, without resistance, by Commodore Patterson......Oct. 16, 1814 The Star-Spangled banner first sung at the Holliday Street Theatre, Baltimore......October, 1814 General Jackson occupies Pensacola......Nov. 6, 1814 Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts, fifth Vice-President of the United States, dies at Washington, D. C., aged seventy......Nov. 23, 1814 Hartford Convention meets at Hartford, Conn.......Dec. 15, 1814 Martial law proclaimed in New Orleans by General Jacks
mate of a merchantman, as prize-master. My men I could replace—my officers I could not. The following letter of instructions was prepared for the guidance of the prizemaster: Confederate States steamer Sumter, off Puerto Cabello, July 26, 1861. quartermaster and prize-master, Eugene Ruhl: You will take charge of the prize schooner, Abby Bradford, and proceed with her, to New Orleans—making the land to the westward of the passes of the Mississippi, and endeavoring to run into Barrataria Bay, Berwick's Bay, or some of the other small inlets. Upon your arrival, you will proceed to the city of New Orleans, in person, and report yourself to Commodore Rousseau, for orders. You will take especial care of the accompanying package of papers, as they are the papers of the captured schooner, and you will deliver them, with the seals unbroken, to the judge of the Prize Court, Judge Moise. You will batten down your hatches, and see that no part of the cargo is touched, during the vo
ppi River. The evacuation of New Orleans and its occupation by the enemy, would necessarily be followed sooner or later by the abandonment of the several forts and small works on the exterior line, which were erected principally to defend the approaches to that city, and after its evacuation could no longer serve any useful purpose, as the position of the enemy (in the river abreast the city) gave him control of the Opelousas Railroad, thus enabling him to get in rear of the works at Barrataria Bay, Grand Caillou, Bayou Lafourche, and Berwick Bay, by which he could cut off and capture all the garrison, with small arms, ammunition, and stores, all of which were greatly needed at that time. I directed them to be abandoned at once. The officers in command were ordered to report with the troops and all transportable supplies at Camp Moore or Vicksburg. Some of them complied with the order, but a portion of the garrison, after marching part of the way, refused to go further, and, in
1 2