Your search returned 7 results in 5 document sections:

Robert Underwood Johnson, Clarence Clough Buell, Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: The Opening Battles. Volume 1., The first year of the War in Missouri. (search)
him to the command of a division, October 4th, 1861. He was assigned to the command of the Trans-Mississippi District, January 10th, 1862. We Missourians were delighted; for he was known to be a fighting man, and we felt sure he would help us to regain our State. I explained to him the condition of affairs in Missouri, and General Price's views. Van Dorn had already decided upon a plan of campaign, and in execution of it ordered General Albert Pike, a few days afterward, to Lawrence county, Missouri, with a mixed command of whites and Indians estimated at 7000 men; ordered McIntosh to report to Price at Springfield with McCulloch's infantry; ordered McCulloch to Pocahontas with his mounted men; and called upon Louisiana, Arkansas, and Texas to send reinforcements. Hopeful and enthusiastic by nature, he believed that Price would have 15,000 effective men at Springfield by the last of March, and himself 18,000 at Pocahontas, and that they could then march against St. Louis. Th
l Frank P. Blair's — which enlisted for three months and fought at Camp Jackson, Boonville, and Wilson's Creek. In the latter engagement it lost 76 killed, 208 wounded, Including the mortally wounded. and 11 missing; total, 295. But few regiments in the war sustained a heavier loss in any one battle. After its three months enlistment had expired it returned to St. Louis, where it reorganized as a light artillery regiment, and enlisted for three years. The County Regiments — Benton, Lawrence, Stone, Greene, Cole, and Ozark Counties — enlisted for three months only; but it was three months of active service. and included some hard fighting. The 7th Missouri Infantry won special distinction in the siege of Vicksburg by its gallantry in the desperate assault of May 22d, planting its colors on the enemy's works and losing six color-bearers killed in quick succession. The 39th Missouri lost 2 officers and 120 men killed in a massacre at Centralia, Mo., September 27, 1864. Maj<
ney County, from Dubuque, Ark., with the intention of attacking this place, to capture the depot of arms and stores, and to destroy all communication with the army of the frontier and St. Louis. Immediately orders were despatched by me to Colonel Johnson, Twenty-sixty regiment, Col. Sheppard, Seventy-second regiment, Col. Boyd, Seventy-fourth regiment, E. M. M., to call in all their furloughed men, and concentrate them immediately at this post; also to detached companies in Dade and Lawrence counties. In the course of the night information was received confirming the report of the enemy's advance. At daylight on the eighth, the troops stationed at Ozark arrived, reporting the enemy had arrived and burned their post; and by ten o'clock A. M., our pickets were attacked, and he appeared on the edge of the prairie, south-cast of town. The enemy at once planted his battery, and commenced firing upon the town and Fort No. 4, commanding the approach from the south, while the cavalr
Brigadier-General Ellison Capers, Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 5, South Carolina (ed. Clement Anselm Evans), Additional Sketches Illustrating the services of officers and Privates and patriotic citizens of South Carolina. (search)
tain, and during the subsequent campaign in the Carolinas he was in active service until he was paroled at Greensboro, N. C., on May 3, 1865. Returning to Charleston he engaged in the cotton and rice factorage business, under the firm name of George H. Ingraham & Son, until 1880, when, he received an appointment in the ordnance office, war department, at Washington, D. C., which position he still holds. Captain A. P. Irby, late a prominent planter of Fairfield county, was born in Lawrence county, S. C., in 1833, the son of William and Mary (Eichelberger) Irby. He received his education at the common schools and at the Georgia university, and was engaged in the occupation of planting when the war began. He enlisted in 1861, in Boyce's Guards, of the Sixth regiment, South Carolina troops, and served for a time on the coast of that State. When the State troops were mustered into the Confederate service he returned home and raised a company, known as Company G, of the Third battalio
cipated in the battles of Farmington, Iuka, Corinth, Baker's Creek, and in the siege of Vicksburg. Exchanged at Vicksburg, it was reorganized west of the Mississippi, and with Gause's, Glenn's, Hart's and Morgan's regiments, formed a brigade commanded by McRae, promoted to brigadier-general. Lieutenant-Colonel Hobbs, who had served several sessions as clerk of the house of representatives of Arkansas, became colonel. The Fourth Arkansas infantry was organized at Miller's Springs, Lawrence county, Mo., August 17, 1861, by the election of Col. Evander McNair, of Hempstead county; Lieut.-Col. A. Bryce Williams, of Hempstead county; Maj. J. H. Clay, of Montgomery county. The regiment was reorganized at Corinth, Miss., May 8, 1862. The companies were commanded as follows: Company A, of Calhoun county, Capt. Joseph B. McCulloch, succeeded by First Lieut. George Eberhart, Second Lieut. Wiley C. Brown, Third Lieut. H. G. Bunn (who afterward became major, lieutenant-colonel and colonel o