ack in the Maine woods; was incorporated in 1824 as Kilmarnock (the birthplace in Scotland of an early settler's father), and changed, by petition of citizens, to Medford in 1856.
Water power is abundant (more than is utilized), lumbering and farming the chief occupation of its 300 people.
It has one church, Free — will Baptist, is on the Piscataquis river, and reached from Bangor.
Mr. Bigelow sent an excellent historical sketch of his town that exhibits his interest in our plan.
Medford, Maryland, was a railroad station, originally called Medwood. When it came to have a post office it was discovered that one named Medwood already existed, and so its name was changed to Medford—as a compromise.
Medford, Indiana, is a little hamlet (around a railway station) of some fifty inhabitants.
Its affairs are cared for by the county.
Medford, Oklahoma (the first to reply) has not as yet sent the information gathered, probably waiting to ascertain why it was so named.