nd expended by the town for war purposes, exclusive of State aid, was twenty thousand eight hundred and forty-seven dollars and fifty-two cents（$20,847.52). In addition to this $12,985.00 were raised by private contributions.
The amount of money paid by the town during the war for State aid to soldiers' families, and repaid by the Commonwealth, was as follows: In 1861, $1,550.37; in 1862, $5,514.64; in 1863, $6,204.07; in 1864, $4,782.36; in 1865, $2,999.33. Total amount, $21,050.77.
Incorporated June 14, 1735.
Population in 1860, 1,986; in 1865, 2,017.
Valuation in 1860, $722,751; in 1865, $736,082.
The selectmen in 1861 were Stephen L. Bosworth, Edward S. Leland, Elisha Fisk, Calvin H. Ruggles, Benjamin F. Holbrook; in 1862, A. T. Wood, Peasley P. Taft, Adams Fisk; in 1863, A. T. Wood, Calvin H. Ruggles, Adams Fisk; in 1864 and 1865, Velorous Taft, A. T. Wood, Henry W. Whiting.
The town-clerk during all the years of the war was Harvey Bradish.