Your search returned 616 results in 217 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ...
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Emmet, Thomas Addis, 1763-1827 (search)
d then law, and was admitted to the Dublin bar in 1791. He became a leader of the Association of United Irishmen, and was one of a general committee whose ultimate object was to secure the freedom of Ireland from British rule. With many of his associates, he was arrested in 1798, and for more than two years was confined in Fort George, Scotland. His brother Robert, afterwards engaged in the same cause, was hanged in Dublin in 1803. Thomas was liberated and banished to France after the treaty of Amiens, the severest penalties being pronounced against him if he should return to Great Britain. His wife was permitted to join him, on condition that she should never again set foot on British soil. He came to the United States in 1804, and became very eminent in his profession in the city of New York. He was made attorneygeneral of the State in 1812. A monument—an obelisk—was erected to his memory in St. Paul's church-yard, New York, on Broadway. He died in New York, Nov. 14, 1
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), George (William Frederick) 1737-1820 (search)
ts present power and glory, was allowed to retire and have his place filled by this Scotch adventurer. The people of England were disgusted, and by this blunder George created a powerful opposition party at the beginning of his reign. The people of New York City, grateful for the repeal of the Stamp Act, voted a statue to the King and to Pitt. That of the former was equestrian, made of lead, and gilded. It was placed in the centre of the Bowling Green, near Fort George, at the foot of Broadway. Raised upon a pedestal, with the head of the King and the horse facing westward, it made an imposing appearance. It was set up, with great parade, Aug. 21, 1770. Within six years afterwards the people pulled it down, with demonstrations of contempt. Washington occupied New York with Continental troops in the summer of 1776. There he received the Declaration of Independence (July 9), and it was read to the army. The same evening a large concourse of soldiers and civilians assembled a
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Lawrence, James 1781- (search)
on, and was beaten. Captain Lawrence was mortally wounded, and died June 6. His remains were conveyed to New York, where a public funeral was held. The remains were then buried in Trinity Church burying-ground, and soon after the war the corporation of New York erected an elegant marble monument over the grave. It became dilapidated in time, and in 1847 the corporation of Trinity Church caused the remains to be removed to a place near the southeast corner of the church, a few feet from Broadway, and a mausoleum of brown freestone to be erected there in commemoration of both Lawrence and his lieutenant, Ludlow. The chapeau, coat, and sword of Captain Lawrence are now in the possession of the New Jersey Historical Society. Through the influence of the peace faction in Massachusetts, the Senate of that State passed a resolution, June 15, 1813, which Mr. Grundy denounced as moral treason. The legislature had passed resolutions of thanks to Hull, Decatur, and Bainbridge, and a pro
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Liberty Poles. (search)
Liberty Poles. The Sons of liberty (q. v.) erected tall flag-staffs, with the Phrygian cap of Liberty on the top, as rallying-places in the open air. They were first erected in cities; afterwards they were set up in the rural districts wherein republicanism prevailed. On the King's birthday, in New York (June 4, 1766), there were great rejoicings on account of the repeal of the Stamp act (q. v.). Governor Sir Henry Moore presided at a public dinner at the King's arms (near the foot of Broadway). On the same day the Sons of Liberty feasted at their headquarters at Montagne's (on Broadway, near Murray Street), and, by permission of the governor, erected a mast (which afterwards they called a liberty pole) between the site of the City Hall and Broadway, in front of Warren Street, on which were inscribed the words, To his most gracious Majesty George Ill., Mr. Pitt, and Liberty. British soldiers were then in the city. The doings of the Sons of Liberty so annoyed the officers of t
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), New Netherland. (search)
or volunteers to defend the town, few came, and those not as friends, for they spiked the cannon in front of the statehouse. Manning sent a messenger for Lovelace; and when the Dutch ships came up and fired broadsides upon the fort, he returned the fire, and shot the enemy's flag-ship through and through. Then 600 soldiers landed on the shores of the Hudson above the town, where they were joined by 400 Dutch citizens in arms, who encouraged them to storm the fort. They were marching down Broadway for that purpose, when they were met by a messenger from Manning with a proposition to surrender it if his troops might be allowed to march out with the honors of war. The proposition was accepted. The English garrison marched out and the Dutch troops marched in. The flag of the Dutch republic waved over Fort James, which was now renamed Fort William Hendrick, and the city was called New Orange, both in honor of William, Prince of Orange. The province was again called New Netherland. F
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), New York City (search)
d vivacious conversation. Putnam, on hearing of the landing at Kip's Bay, had struck his flag at Fort George, foot of Broadway, and made his way to Harlem Heights, sheltered from observation by intervening woods. Lord Dunmore, who was with the Brl and Broad streets up to Beaver Street was consumed, when the wind veered to the southeast and drove the flames towards Broadway. The buildings on each side of Beaver Street to the Bowling Green were burned. The fire crossed Broadway and swept allBroadway and swept all the buildings on each side as far as Exchange Street, and on the west side to Partition (Fulton) Street, destroying Trinity Church. Every building westward towards the Hudson River perished. The Tories and British writers of the day charged the deYankees have the marrow. Second Great fire. On Dec. 16, 1835, a fire broke out which swept the first ward, east of Broadway and below Wall Street, destroying 529 buildings, most of them valuable stores; also the Merchants' Exchange and the Sout
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Prisons and prison-ships, British (search)
which more than 1,000 prisoners were sometimes confined at one time. There they suffered indescribable horrors from unwholesome food, foul air, filth, and vermin, and from small-pox, dysentery, and prisonfever that slew them by scores. Despair reigned there incessantly, for their treatment was generally brutal in the extreme. Every night the living, dying, and dead were huddled together. At sunset each day was heard the savage order, accompanied by horrid imprecations, Down, rebels, down! and in the morning the significant cry, Rebels, turn out your dead! The latter were selected from the living, sewed up in blankets, carried on shore, and buried in shallow graves in the sand. Fully 11,000 were so taken from the Jersey and buried during the war. In 1808 the bones of these martyrs were gathered by the Tammany Society and placed in a vault near the entrance to the navy-yard, and a magnificent monument was erected and dedicated to their memory in Trinity Church-yard, on Broadway.
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Stewart, Alexander Turney 1803-1876 (search)
Stewart, Alexander Turney 1803-1876 Merchant; born in Lisburn, Ireland, Oct. 12, 1803; came to the United States in 1823 and settled in New York, where he taught school for a time. Later, by the death of his father, he received a moderate fortune, with which he established a small drygoods store on Broadway. This business grew until in 1862 he owned the largest retail store in the world. At the time of his death his wealth was estimated at $50,000,000. His gifts to charity include $50,000 to the sufferers by the Chicago fire, 50,000 francs to the sufferers by the floods in Silesia, and other donations to similar objects. He died in New York City, April 10, 1876, and was buried on April 13, in St. Mark's church-yard, from which his remains were stolen on Nov. 7, 1878. In the midst of the excitement following the discovery of the robbery it was alleged that Judge Hilton, the executor of Mr. Stewart's estate, had been notified by one of the robbers that the remains would be surr
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Trinity Church. (search)
icers of the church: Bishop of London, rector; Thomas Wenham and Robert Lurting, wardens; Caleb Heathcote, William Merret, John Tudor, James Emott, William Morris, Thomas Clarke, Ebenezer Wilson, Samuel Burt, James Evets, Nathaniel Marston, Michael Howden, John Crooke, William Sharpas, Lawrence Read, David Jamison, William Hudleston, Gabriel Ludlow, Thomas Burroughs, John Merret, and William Janeway, vestrymen. In 1705 a tract of land known as The Queen's farm extended (on the west side of Broadway) from St. Paul's Chapel (Vesey Street and Broadway) along the river to Skinner Road, now Christopher Street. This farm was then totally unproductive. Money was collected for the building of the church. It was a small square edifice then on the banks of the Hudson River. It was enlarged in 1737 to 148 feet in length, including the tower and chancel, and to 72 feet in width. The steeple, which was not completed until 1772, was 175 feet in height. The building was consumed in the great fi
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing),
Wall Street
, (search)
Wall Street, A noted thoroughfare in the part of New York City extending from Broadway at Trinity Church to the East River, about half a mile long. This title, however, designates a region extending about a quarter of a mile on either side of the greater part of Wall Street proper. The locality is famous the world over for its financial institutions, which include a large number of banking houses, the United States Sub-Treasury, the Custom-house, the Stock Exchange, etc. The name is derived from a wall of palisades which was built in Dutch colonial days as a defence against the Indians. The location of great financial houses here is due to the fact that the principal early government buildings were erected on the street. After the adoption of the Constitution of the United States the First Congress met here in a building on the site of the present Sub- Treasury. On the porch of that building George Washington was inaugurated the first President of the republic.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ...