Your search returned 14 results in 7 document sections:

e colonel carried them over a rugged route squarely into the front of the battle, and gave them an opportunity to do their share of duty. Colonel Lowe was encouraging and directing them in front, when he was struck by a shot fairly in the centre of his forehead, and he fell dead without a groan. A moment afterward a charge of grape mangled both his legs. I was not surprised that poor Lowe was killed. I anticipated his misfortune. He was unjustly and malignantly accused of cowardice at Scary, and he had said the sacrifice of his life was necessary to redeem his reputation. On his way to the field of Carnifex Ferry, he requested the chaplain of his regiment to take care of his property if his presentiments should be realized. He died where a soldier loves to die — in the thickest of the fight. Col. Lowe was an old citizen of Xenia, Ohio, where he was universally respected. He was not an educated military man, but he had the courage of a soldier. His remains have been forward
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 10. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), The private Confederate soldier. (search)
last winter on the lines: Sir, the men of this war who will deserve the most honor and gratitude are not the men of rank, but the men of the ranks--the privates! I cordially concurred in the justice and truth of the compliment, for I had seen them tried on the rocks of Coal river, of Gauley and the Pocotalico. I had tested their endurance in the marches and countermarches, and scouting and skirmishing, of the Kanawha Valley; I had seen them in a first fight and victory against all odds at Scary, and their last stand against greater odds on the Sewall mountains; I had seen their constancy and courage proved at Hawk's Nest, at Honey Creek, at Big Creek, at Carnifax Ferry, and at Camp Defiance, in Northwest Virginia. I had seen them leap with alacrity to the defense of Roanoke Island, knowing when they went that they could not return but as captives or corpses. I have seen them in the Slaughter pen there slay twice their own numbers before they stacked the arms for which they had no
untain. Cox decided to await at Pocotalico the coming in of his flanking columns. On the 16th the forward movement of the Second Kentucky (Federal) began at Guyandotte, a few miles beyond which, at Barboursville, a lively skirmish took place with 0. J. Wise's advance cavalry pickets, which fell back, pursued by the Federals, to the force encamped near Scary creek, some 24 miles from Charleston, which, on the afternoon of the 17th, met and repulsed this pursuit. After the engagement at Scary, the Federals crossed the river and encamped on the north side. The next day Wise attacked Cox's advance post with some 800 men of all arms under McCausland, forcing them to retreat to their intrenched camp near the mouth of the Pocotalico. The retreat of Garnett's forces from Rich mountain and Laurel hill, and the advance of McClellan to Cheat mountain, thus threatening a movement on Staunton, or to the Virginia Central railroad, or to the Kanawha line at Lewisburg, induced the Confeder
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 25. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), The career of Wise's Brigade, 1861-5. (search)
This they encountered unbroken to the last, and until they were ordered to raise their indomitable defences of Yorktown and move to the defences of Richmond. This they did after the victory at Bethel, and after fighting most gloriously the battles at Williamsburg and Barhamsville. During this period, before the evacuation of the defences of Yorktown, I was in command of a legion of 2,000 men and two regiments of Virginia Volunteers in the Kanawha valley. To pass over the scenes there of Scary and Pocataligo, and the evacuation of that valley, and the burning of Gauley Bridge, and of Carnifax, and of Honey Creek, on the east peak of Sewell Mountain, and of Camp Defiance and the Slaughter Pen of Roanoke Island, after Richmond was invested by McClellan's army, my legion was converted into a brigade of infantry, and was reorganized. The 46th and 59th Virginia Regiments of the legion were left to my command, and to these were added the 26th and 34th Regiments of Virginia, largely com
isoners and killed five. The first skirmish occurred on the turnpike, some three or four miles below here, and resulted in our killing two and taking two prisoners--both Germans. After this little affair, Col. Croghan ventured too far in pursuit, and, near the Hawk's Nest, fell into an ambush, and had four of Capt. Buchanan's Company (Floyd Brigade) severely wounded--one supposed mortally. The enemy's shooting was extremely bad. We picked up rifled-cannon ball enough from the field of Scary to fire thirty rounds; when occasion presents, we will return them with our compliments. A word in regard to the accounts of Northern correspondents, reproduced in Southern papers, as to the losses in military stores and "traps" incurred on our retreat. They were considerable, owing to two unfortunate accidents, to which I merely refer, without taking time to explain. The steamboat Julia Maffitt, owing to the too great eagerness of Col. Patton's command to engage the enemy, and their
tately. Our loss in killed and wounded 160, the enemy's some 400, including prisoners. The enemy charged our men several times on Wednesday but were repulsed. The ground of the fight involved a small settlement, whose inhabitants fled, losing by the destruction of their property enough to subject them to suffering. Mr. Miller, well known as a merchant at Dry Creek, lost his dwelling house and kitchen, which were set on fire by a shell. In his house was consumed all his money, which was in notes, two gold watches, and his furniture, clothing, &c., his family saving nothing, having left precipitately to escape the dangers of the fight — their house being between the two armies. Colonel Patton, by his gallantry, well won the title to promotion, which we are sure will be duly acknowledged. This brave officer was wounded early in the war at the battle of Scary, in Kanawha, and it was feared at the time mortally, the ball entering the shoulder. He was a long time disabled from it.
rn independence. He was a graduate of the Virginia Military Institute, but adopted the profession of the law, and settled in Kanawha county, where, as the partner of George W. Summers, and by the application of his own brilliant intellect, he soon attained a high position at the bar. When the war broke out, however, he was among the first to offer his services to his country. In an arduous campaign in Western Virginia he greatly distinguished himself, and was badly wounded at the battle of Scary. As soon as he recovered he again took the field, and was in command of our forces at White Sulphur Springs which defeated Averill in the summer of 1863. In many battles in which he was subsequently engaged he proved his bravery and his fitness to command. The South could ill afford to lose such a man in a period like the present; but he has left behind him an honorable name, and his memory will be cherished by all who entertain respect for courage, manliness and high-toned chivalry. Col