Browsing named entities in Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865. You can also browse the collection for Folly Island, S. C. (South Carolina, United States) or search for Folly Island, S. C. (South Carolina, United States) in all documents.

Your search returned 17 results in 9 document sections:

f they are made of. With many wishes for your good health and happiness, I remain, Very sincerely and respectfully yours, Robert G. Shaw. A deserter from the Second South Carolina was brought by Lieut. George W. Brush of his regiment before Colonel Montgomery on June 28. After questioning him, the colonel ordered him to be taken away and shot, which was done at once. Montgomery was never taken to task for this illegal action. Most of the troops at St. Helena had departed for Folly Island by July 3. Fears prevailed that the colored regiments were not to take part in active operations. Colonel Shaw's disappointment found courteous expression as follows:— St. Helena Island, July 6, 1863. Brig.-Gen. George C. Strong. General,—I did not pay my respects to you before you left this post because I did not wish to disturb you when making your preparations for departure. I desire, however, to express to you my regret that my regiment no longer forms a part of the force
ed condition of the small steamers. About 1 A. M. on the 9th, the transports arrived off Stono Inlet; the bar was crossed at noon; and anchors were cast off Folly Island. The inlet was full of transports, loaded with troops, gunboats, and supply vessels, betokening an important movement made openly. General Gillmore's plansf field artillery, thirty Parrott guns, twenty-seven siege and three Cohorn mortars, besides ample tools and material. Admiral Dahlgren was to co-operate. On Folly Island, in our possession, batteries were constructed near Lighthouse Inlet, opposite Morris Island, concealed by the sand hillocks and undergrowth. Gillmore's real ollowing the Fifty-fourth had the benefit of daylight most of the way. Footsore, weary, hungry, and thirsty, the regiment was halted near the beach opposite Folly Island about 5 A. M., on the 17th. Sleep was had until the burning sun awakened the greater number. Regiments had been arriving and departing all the morning. Rati
ed from wounds returned, and Brig.-Gen. Edward A. Wild's brigade of the First North Carolina and Fifty-fifth Massachusetts, both colored, arrived and camped on Folly Island. Mr. De Mortie, the regimental sutler, about this time brought a supply of goods. After August 2 the details were somewhat smaller, as the colored brigade on Folly Island began to send over working parties. But calls were filled from the regiment daily for work about the landing and the front. Two men from each company reported as sharpshooters in conjunction with those from other regiments. The famous battery known as the Swamp Angel was begun August 4, and built under directi range of their guns. Reinforcements, consisting of Gen. George H. Gordon's division from the Eleventh Corps, arrived on the 13th and landed on the 15th upon Folly Island. No rain fell from July 18 until August 13, which was favorable for the siege work, as the sand handled was dry and light. This dryness, however, rendered it
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865, Chapter 7: bombardment of Charleston. (search)
ong; the Bluff Battery, Fort Shaw; the new work near Gregg, Battery Chatfield; a work on Lighthouse Inlet, Battery Purviance; and another opposite the last, on Folly Island, Fort Green. By the same order General Gillmore announced that medals of honor, his personal gift, would be furnished to three per cent of the enlisted men wh Others were found floating with the tide. A wooden affair, some fifty by thirty feet, double planked, looking like a floating battery, was washed ashore on Folly Island about the same time. The enemy had been loosing a part of the harbor obstructions. We were now firing an average of twenty shells each day into Charleston.high flag-staff erected. Captain Strahan, Third Rhode Island Heavy Artillery, was made commandant of the work. General Gillmore removed his headquarters from Folly Island to Hilton Head about this time. General Terry was given command of the Northern District from Charleston to St. Helena. Col. W. W. H. Davis, One Hundred and
ent from Lake City. On the 13th, with a force numbering two thousand men, he moved forward toward Sanderson, taking post at Olustee, where he constructed strong works, to better defend his position. Reinforcements continued to join, so that on the 18th he had forty-six hundred infantry (largely veterans), about six hundred cavalry, and three batteries of twelve guns. The enemy's knowledge of our force was accurate, and of our plans considerable, for despatches from Gillmore to Terry at Folly Island were intercepted and deciphered. Beauregard therefore stripped his garrisons elsewhere to meet us in Florida. A diversion made by General Schimmelfennig on John's Island, S. C., occurred too early, and another by Col. J. B. Howell, Eighty-fifth Pennsylvania, at Whitmarsh Island, Ga., too late to serve Seymour. Colonel Hallowell, commanding Jacksonville, occupied the Crespo house as headquarters. The Fifty-fifth Massachusetts arrived on the 14th, and the next day relieved the Fift
Island. It was made of staves, cigar-shaped, with a large cap to explode by contact. Lieutenant-Colonel Hooper assumed command of the Defences of Lighthouse Inlet on May 7. They included Black Island, Battery Purviance, and Fort Green, on Folly Island, opposite Purviance. These two batteries mounted thirty-pounder Parrotts for offensive purposes against James Island. Lieutenant-Colonel Hooper made his headquarters at Fort Green. Captain Tucker, with Company H, left Black Island and relieve received of these men, then confined nearly a year. Until late in June it was not expected that any active operations would be attempted, at least during the summer months. But on the 19th there were demonstrations made by our troops from Folly Island about the Stono. By the 29th evidences of some projected movement became apparent. Our scouting parties were urged to greater activity; boats were put in order, bridges toward James Island were laid, and ammunition was served out. The time s
demonstrate against the city and Fort Pemberton from across the Stono. General Schimmelfennig's force, landing on James Island, was to front Secessionville; and he was also to send troops to John's Island to open communication with General Hatch. The navy was to assist at all these points, but more strongly in the Stono. Our batteries at Cumming's Point and on Lighthouse Inlet were to engage the enemy's attention. July 1, at 6 P. M., the Fifty-fourth moved to the landing, crossed to Folly Island on pontoon-boats and scows, and Companies E and F having joined, marched to Stono. Although the men were lightly equipped, it was warm and exhausting. Arriving at 2 A. M., the regiment embarked on the steamer Fraser; and after provoking delays, which enabled the other regiments to precede us, we landed on Cole's Island at 4 A. M., on the 2d. Marching just after daybreak, the Fifty-fourth crossed to James Island over the route traversed a year before in the opposite direction. As the
e next day, when a chilling northwest wind blew. We received forty-seven recruits on the 11th, who had looked forward to joining the regiment of their choice. As our rolls were full, they were transferred, to the Fifty-fifth Massachusetts on Folly Island. Our musicians were made happy by the receipt of twelve brass drums. Still another change of post commander occurred on the 19th, when Colonel Hallowell relieved Colonel Van Wyck, who went North temporarily. General Foster, when informed t. Lieutenant Littlefield was ordered to remain in charge of the camp and sick on Morris Island. Owing to the scarcity of transportation, the Fifty-fourth departed in detachments. Acting Major Pope, with Companies A, D, I, and K, crossed to Folly Island on the evening of the 26th, made a night march, and arrived at Stono about midnight. At dark the next day this force embarked with the Fifty-sixth New York and General Hatch and staff on the Cosmopolitan, reaching Hilton Head on the 28th. Lie
, 157, 159, 171, 173, 175. Firemen of Charleston, 194. Fisk, John B., 234. Flags of regiment, 24, 25, 73, 77, 81, 84, 89, 131, 166, 202, 248. Fletcher, Francis H., 13. Flore, blockade runner, steamer, 233. Florence, S. C., 289. Florence National Cemetery, 305. Florence Prison, 97. Florida, 148, 184, 185, 186. Florida Expedition, 148, 150, 156. Florida House, 178. Florida Troops. Cavalry: Second, 154, 155. Infantry: Second Battalion, 161. Sixth Battalion, 161,165. Folly Island, S. C., 48, 51, 52, 65, 108, 110, 134, 141, 146, 197, 199, 221, 234. Folly River, 67, 186. Forbes, John M., 11. Foster, John G., 193, 194, 195, 196, 199, 208, 211, 213, 217, 218, 230, 236, 238, 253, 261, 262, 270, 272, 274. Foster, R. M., 247, 249. Foster, R. S., 175. Foundering of the Weehawken, 140. Four Hole Swamp, S. C., 275. Four Mile House, S. C., 285. Fox, Charles B., 191, 200, 243. Framton Creek, S. C., 263, 266. Fraser, steamer, 200, 237, 238. Frederica, Ga., 45.