Browsing named entities in Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865. You can also browse the collection for Hilton Head (South Carolina, United States) or search for Hilton Head (South Carolina, United States) in all documents.

Your search returned 42 results in 12 document sections:

1 2
packing knapsacks, and rolling blankets. Running below Hilton Head, a pilot came alongside in a boat rowed by contrabands, lowing letter:— headquarters Department of the South, Hilton Head, Port Royal, S. C., June 3, 1863. His Excellency, Governuarters, and long pier making up the military station of Hilton Head. The steamer crossed the grand harbor with some seventyile below town the steamer grounded, delaying arrival at Hilton Head until noon. There Colonel Shaw was instructed by Generalome came that afternoon. Colonel Montgomery had gone to Hilton Head, leaving Colonel Shaw in command of the post. Camped 23. Orders also came for the Fifty-fourth to report at Hilton Head. During the afternoon and evening of June 24, the regntgomery's camp, whence it sailed early the next day for Hilton Head. Colonel Montgomery's regiment was also ordered away. left St. Simon's Island and returned to St. Helena near Hilton Head. We are now encamped in a healthy place, close to the h
arters with seven companies finding transportation on the steamer Chasseur, the remaining ones on the steamer Cossack, with Colonel Montgomery and staff. Lieutenant Littlefield, with a guard of one hundred men, was detailed to remain at St. Helena in charge of the camp. Assistant-Surgeon Bridgham also remained with the sick. Captain Bridge and Lieutenant Walton were unable to go on account of illness. A start was made late in the afternoon in a thunder-storm, the Cossack stopping at Hilton Head to take on Captain Emilio and a detail of ninety men there. The following night was made miserable by wet clothes, a scarcity of water, and the crowded condition of the small steamers. About 1 A. M. on the 9th, the transports arrived off Stono Inlet; the bar was crossed at noon; and anchors were cast off Folly Island. The inlet was full of transports, loaded with troops, gunboats, and supply vessels, betokening an important movement made openly. General Gillmore's plans should be
derson it was ascertained that the Fifty-fourth's prisoners would not be given up, and Colonel Shaw's death was confirmed. Battery Simkins on James Island opened against our trenches for the first time on the 25th. For the first time also sharpshooters of the enemy fired on our working parties with long-range rifles. Orders came on the 26th that, owing to the few officers and lack of arms, the Fifty-fourth should only furnish fatigue details. Quartermaster Ritchie, who was sent to Hilton Head, returned on the 29th with the officers, men, and camp equipage from St. Helena, and tents were put up the succeeding day. Some six hundred men were then present with the colors, including the sick. The number of sick in camp was very large, owing to the severe work and terrible heat. About nineteen hundred were reported on August 1 in the whole command. The sight of so many pale, enfeebled men about the hospitals and company streets was dispiriting. As an offset, some of those who ha
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865, Chapter 7: bombardment of Charleston. (search)
ill called for to labor on the new works. Our first instalment of furloughed men having returned, the second left for Hilton Head on November 12. Lieutenant Howard relieved Lieutenant Littlefield as acting adjutant. Sergeant Swails of Company F waof December 13. In his report he says,— I deem it proper to say here, that among the many regiments that I saw at Hilton Head, St. Helena Island, Beaufort, Folly, and Morris Island, white and colored, there are none, to my inexperienced eye, tland Heavy Artillery, was made commandant of the work. General Gillmore removed his headquarters from Folly Island to Hilton Head about this time. General Terry was given command of the Northern District from Charleston to St. Helena. Col. W. W. shed soft bread. It had a capacity of two hundred loaves each baking. Troops had been moving from various posts to Hilton Head during January, and on the 27th our brigade was ordered to embark as soon as transportation was provided. During the
from the sound of the guns! No more longrolls, etc. Then they comfortably disposed themselves for the short voyage. Hilton Head was made at 3.45 P. M. by the Monohansett, and at 7 P. M. by the Collins, both vessels lying up at the pier. The comp accompany us. Orders came to march at supper-time on the 5th; and the Fifty-fourth proceeded from its only camp at Hilton Head to the pier. Major Appleton, with Companies A, B, and D, embarked on the steamer Maple Leaf, which was General Seymouth small garrisons and earthworks. After a conference with Seymour on the 14th at Jacksonville, Gillmore departed for Hilton Head. In his report to Halleck he says,— I considered it well understood at the time between General Seymour and myselt of indigestible paste very good for diarrhoea. Our wounded were first cared for at Jacksonville, and then sent to Hilton Head and Beaufort. Major Appleton, on the 26th, with Companies A, B, and E, was sent to occupy works at the front as a res
on the 20th, relieving Colonel Davis, who, with the Fifty-second and One Hundred and Fourth Pennsylvania, departed for Hilton Head. The next day Colonel Montgomery arrived and relieved Colonel Hallowell. He brought the Thirty-fourth United States in Mexico. As Lieutenant-Colonel Hooper was detailed for courtmartial duty and Captain Emilio as judge-advocate at Hilton Head, on May 29, Captain Bridge took command of Lighthouse Inlet and Capt. T. L. Appleton of Fort Green. During the ensuinallowell, however, procured him a furlough, and sent him, provided with the necessary papers, to see General Foster at Hilton Head. There Lieutenant Swails presented his claims in person and received the general's recommendation for muster, to be fr, Steuart, Archer, Jeff. Thompson, and Edward Johnson, besides fortyfive Confederate field-officers, were received at Hilton Head and confined on the brig Dragoon there. It was General Foster's purpose if necessary to imprison these officers under
ails for grand guard were increased after the 16th, when the Thirty-second United States Colored Troops was ordered to Hilton Head. Salutes in honor of Admiral Farragut's victory at Mobile were fired on the 25th. On the 28th, and again on Septem soon set her on fire, and she burned until after dark. Colonel Mulford, our commissioner of exchange, had arrived at Hilton Head with 3,200 Confederate prisoners. He met Captain Black, the Confederate agent, on the 11th, in the Savannah River, ane next day this force embarked with the Fifty-sixth New York and General Hatch and staff on the Cosmopolitan, reaching Hilton Head on the 28th. Lieutenant-Colonel Hooper, with Companies C, E, G, and H, left Morris Island on the steamer General Hooker on the 27th, arriving at Hilton Head about 3 A. M. the next day. This departure from Morris Island was the final one for these eight companies and their officers. The companies of the regiment that remained held their several stations until Char
Chapter 12: Honey Hill. Our arrival with other troops at Hilton Head was in consequence of General Foster's orders to co-operate with General Sherman in his march to the sea, for the latter had telegraphed General Halleck from Kingston, Ga., November 11,— I would like to have Foster break the Charleston and Savannah Railr. H. L. Jewett were on staff duty with General Hatch. A large fleet was ready at Port Royal, the decks of the transports crowded with troops; and the pier at Hilton Head was full of stores and men awaiting transportation. During the 28th Captain Pope's companies were transferred to the steamer Golden Gate, on which was Colonel Lieutenant Reid, who was killed, fully expected his fate. He gave last injunctions regarding his family before leaving Morris Island to a brother officer. At Hilton Head he purchased an emblem of the Freemasons, with which order he was affiliated. Lieutenant Chipman wrote:— I can remember poor Reid that morning before we br
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865, Chapter 13: operations about Pocotaligo. (search)
ut Pocotaligo. About Boyd's Landing on the morning of December 1, the wounded were being gathered for conveyance to Hilton Head. In the forenoon the division moved out to the cross-road, where with the other troops, the Fifty-fourth maintained athis time, for it was rumored at Morris Island that we were to return there, and on the 5th our horses were ordered to Hilton Head. A deserter from the Fiftieth North Carolina came in on the 10th, reporting ten regiments in our front,making a totalisher, North Carolina, by our old commander, Gen. A. H. Terry, causing great rejoicing. Our horses were returned from Hilton Head on the 19th. Rainy weather seriously interfered with bringing up supplies. Daily details from the Fifty-fourth were d the regiment from there. Lieutenant James, recommissioned, reported; but his old wound soon forced him to return to Hilton Head. Captain Pope was made major, Lieutenant Howard captain of Company I, and Second Lieutenants Stevens and Charles Jewe
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865, Chapter 14: Charleston and Savannah. (search)
wing to the city and embarked on the steamer W. W. Coit, which in the afternoon ran down the harbor past the now silent batteries on either side, and arrived at Hilton Head about midnight. Proceeding in the morning, the steamer entered the Savannah River and tied up at the city front at noon. Disembarking, the wing moved out Bull d Second United States Colored Troops, camped on our right. Major Pope, with the left wing, left Charleston March 13 on the steamer Chas. Houghton, arriving at Hilton Head about midnight. There the men disembarked on the pier, while the vessel went elsewhere to coal. At 3 P. M., on the 14th, this wing proceeded by way of Shell Ct, accompanied by Colonel Hallowell. The same day Major Pope with the left wing boarded the steamer Canonicus. After getting to sea, both transports touched at Hilton Head and then went on to Charleston, where Colonel Hallowell was directed to report to General Hatch. Bad weather and the want of coal prevented sailing thence unti
1 2