Your search returned 4 results in 2 document sections:

tural or kindred pursuits, although there was a sprinkling of men doing business in Boston at the time we are considering. For a moment let us recall some of the features that characterized the topography of the town. Union square, with its half-dozen houses, two stores, and yawning sand-pit, posed as the middle of the town. The Middlesex canal was in operation. Tolls were being collected on the Medford turnpike. Scattering farmhouses dotted the south side of Prospect, Central, and Spring Hills. Winter Hill was as sparsely settled, while the summit of Walnut Hill was crowned by a single building, and Tufts College was under the management of Hosea Ballou, 2nd. The Trumpet, the organ of Universalism, was edited by Thomas Whittemore, who, as he himself declared, was the homeliest man in the denomination. Occasional trains over the railroads were run, stopping at stations in the town, while the only other public conveyance was a single hourly that left Winter Hill on the eve
oth, they agreed and concluded that their cattle should be pastured outside the neck upon the main land, and they chose for grazing grounds lands which are now a large part of the city of Somerville. This territory belonged to the town. It is variously spoken of in the old records as the main, the Cow commones, the Stinted Pasture, the Stinted Common, and the land without the neck, meaning the land beyond the neck. This tract embraced what is now East Somerville, Prospect, Central, and Spring hills, the southerly slope of Winter hill, and a considerable portion of West Somerville, its boundaries not being very clearly defined at that time. The dividing of this common ground among the citizens, or stinting of the pasture, as they termed it, received attention as early as 1635—a committee being then appointed to consider the matter. At a town meeting held February 6, 1636 (27th 1637 n. s.) four of the inhabitants, viz., William Brackenbury, Ezekial Richeson, Thomas Ewar, and Ralph