Browsing named entities in Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865. You can also browse the collection for Stono River (South Carolina, United States) or search for Stono River (South Carolina, United States) in all documents.

Your search returned 11 results in 7 document sections:

and Nineteenth Georgia, and four companies Thirty-second Georgia, about fourteen hundred men, supported by the Marion Artillery, was to cross the marsh at the causeway nearest Secessionville, drive the enemy as far as the lower causeway [nearest Stono] rapidly recross the marsh at that point by a flank movement, and cut off and capture the force encamped at Grimball's. Col. C. H. Way, Fifty-fourth Georgia, with eight hundred men, was to follow and co-operate. A reserve of one company of cava artillery, was at Rivers's house. Two Napoleon guns each, of the Chatham Artillery, and Blake's Battery, and four twelve-pounders of the Siege Train, supported by four hundred infantry, were to attack the gunboats Pawnee and Marblehead in the Stono River. In the gray of early dawn of July 16, the troops in bivouac on James Island were awakened by dropping shots, and then heavy firing on the picket line to the right. Clambering to the top of a pile of cracker-boxes, an officer of the Fifty
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865, Chapter 5: the greater assault on Wagner. (search)
the burial parties of both sides were at work on the field, a chain of sentinels dividing them, a person was brought to me where I was engaged within the battery in repairing damages done to the work. The guard said he had been found wandering within our lines, engaged apparently in nothing except making observations. The man claimed to be a naval surgeon belonging to gunboat Pawnee; and after asking him some questions about the damages sustained by that vessel a few days before in the Stono River from an encounter with a field battery on its banks, I informed him that he would be sent up to Charleston for such disposition as General Beauregard deemed proper. I do not recall the name of this person, and have not heard of him since, but he must be the Dr. Leech [Luck?] of whom you speak. I have no recollection of other conversation with him than that given above. He has, however, certainly reported me incorrectly in one particular. I never saw or heard of Colonel Shaw until his
its channel face. Black Island was reached by the three companies, after laboriously rowing up Lighthouse Inlet and the creeks, on the evening of the 18th. The Eleventh Maine was relieved there and departed the next day. This outpost, occupied by a portion of the Fifty-fourth until Charleston was evacuated, merits description. It was of small extent and almost the only dry spot amid the marshes between Morris and James islands. The safety of Lighthouse Inlet and the inland channel from Stono depended upon its safe maintenance. Our heavy guns, mounted there in August, 1863, had been removed. There was an enclosed work holding a single Wiard rifle-gun. As it was within range of the lower James Island batteries, bombproofs had been constructed. From a platform near the top of a tall pine-tree called the Crow's Nest, commanding a fine view of the whole region, a constant watch was kept. Messages were sent to and received from Morris Island by signal flags and torches. A foot-
oved to the landing, crossed to Folly Island on pontoon-boats and scows, and Companies E and F having joined, marched to Stono. Although the men were lightly equipped, it was warm and exhausting. Arriving at 2 A. M., the regiment embarked on the n assistant-surgeon (whose name is not known), was temporarily assigned to the regiment. All the horses had been left at Stono. Though partially concealed by woods and irregularities of the ground, we of the Fifty-fourth knew the formidable charsland that day advanced on the road running parallel with Bohicket Creek and halted at Parker's, where a road branched to Stono on the right. The march, though short, was severe because of the heat. Just at dawn on Independence Day, the Fifty-foght, when they got under way and ran down the river. After a scanty breakfast the Fifty-fourth, at 9 A. M., marched to Stono, accomplishing the three miles in as many hours, for the day was hot and the men much exhausted. There a sutler was foun
s. Companies C and I at Black Island were relieved by two companies of the Fifty-second Pennsylvania, under Capt. John B. Fisk, and reported at camp to proceed with the regiment. Lieutenant Littlefield was ordered to remain in charge of the camp and sick on Morris Island. Owing to the scarcity of transportation, the Fifty-fourth departed in detachments. Acting Major Pope, with Companies A, D, I, and K, crossed to Folly Island on the evening of the 26th, made a night march, and arrived at Stono about midnight. At dark the next day this force embarked with the Fifty-sixth New York and General Hatch and staff on the Cosmopolitan, reaching Hilton Head on the 28th. Lieutenant-Colonel Hooper, with Companies C, E, G, and H, left Morris Island on the steamer General Hooker on the 27th, arriving at Hilton Head about 3 A. M. the next day. This departure from Morris Island was the final one for these eight companies and their officers. The companies of the regiment that remained held thei
do menial and often repulsive work about the prison, or elsewhere about Charleston whither some were sent. We shall get glimpses of their life from the testimony of others confined there. Upon their entrance into the jail, the Wagner prisoners met those of their regiment captured on James Island, and for the first time learned who had survived of their comrades reported missing. They also found confined four colored men belonging to the gunboat Isaac Smith, which was captured in the Stono River by the Confederates, early in 1863. By arrangement, on July 24, 1863, truce boats met in Charleston harbor, and one hundred and four of our white soldiers who had been wounded at Wagner were delivered up. The Confederate commissioner, Colonel Edward C. Anderson, reports that an effort was made to bring under discussion the prisoners of the Fifty-fourth Massachusetts Regiment, but in compliance with instructions, all information or conversation upon these troops was declined. This sile
Stephens, George E., 12, 56, 92, 166, 315. Stephenson, J. H., 15, 23. Steuart, George H., 196. Stevens, Atherton H., Jr., 152. Stevens, Edward L., 184, 237, 276, 291, 292, 293, 302, 303, 304, 305. Stevens, T. H., 128. Stevenson, Thomas G., 53, 63, 74, 85, 87, 103, 106, 143. Stewart, Henry, 131. Stewart plantation, 263, 265, 266. Stiles, Joseph, 202. Sterling, J. R., 12. Stone, Lincoln R., 34, 64, 75, 103,105, 109. 145. Stono Inlet, S. C., 51, 141, 186, 197, 200, 215, 234. Stono River, 53, 56, 59,197, 199, 208, 209, 210, 211, 216, 270. Strahan, Charles G., 146. Strength of regiment, 105, 108, 149, 164, 178, 202, 228, 237, 261, 291. Strong, Fort, 134. Strong, George C., 46, 48, 49, 66, 72, 73, 74, 77, 86, 88, 89, 91, 94. Stroud, William H., tug, 318. Sturgis, James, 142. Subscription for monument, 229, 230. Suffhay, Samuel, 217. Sullivan's Island, S. C., 54, 70, 138, 187, 212, 217, 219, 233, 281, 282. Sulsey, Joseph, 188. Summerville, S. C., 310. Sumne