Your search returned 74 results in 19 document sections:

1 2
y of single damask roses, very sweet; also, mulberries, plums, raspberries, currants, chessnuts, filberds, walnuts, smallnuts, hurtleberries, and hawes of white-thorne, near as good as cherries in England. They grow in plenty here. The fullest credit may be given to these statements of Mr. Higginson. They show, among other things, that the region we now occupy was a dense forest in 1629. This confirms the story told of Gov. Winthrop; that when he took up his residence on his farm at Ten Hills, on the bank of Mystic River, he one day penetrated the forest near Winter Hill. He so lost his latitude and longitude as to become entirely bewildered. Night came on, and he knew not which way to steer. After many ineffectual trials to descry any familiar place, he resigned himself to his fate, kindled a fire, put philosophy in his pocket, and bivouacked, feeling much as St. Paul did in his shipwreck-voyage, when they cast anchor, and wished for day. What the Governor learned or dream
ord as his Headquarters; and here he made his first settlement, here opened his business of ship-building and fishing, and here placed an agent to execute his plans. The most sagacious and wealthy merchant of the company could not have made a wiser choice. To Medford he directed his thoughts, in Medford he expended his money, and for the prosperity of Medford he devoutly prayed. Our infant town could not have had a better father. He may have first stopped opposite Winthrop's farm, at Ten Hills, and there done something in the fishing business; but we very soon find him, by his agent, engaged in building a bridge across Mistick River, at the place where the great bridge now stands. There could have been no motive for his building such a bridge, at such a time, and at his own expense, unless his men and business were in that neighborhood. That his operations were not confined to one spot appears from the fact that he had a fishing establishment at Agawam, by Merrimack, where, Au
the powder-house, on Quarry Hill, and, on the 27th of August, 1774, removed it. Governor Gage heard that the powder in that house was fast leaving it; and, as he called it the king's powder, he resolved to remove it to Castle William (Fort Independence). Accordingly, on Thursday morning, September 1, about half-past 4, two hundred and sixty troops, under the command of Lieut.-Col. Maddison, embarked at Long Wharf, Boston, in thirteen boats, sailed up Mystic River, landed at Temple's farm (Ten Hills), marched to the powder-house, and removed all the powder in it, two hundred and fifty half-barrels, to Castle William. This clandestine act of power, executed on the very borders of Medford, called forth here the deepest indignation, and made every man ready for the issue which it foreshadowed. It is impossible now to conceive of the excitement which this act produced. Five boats had been built, and the Selectmen of Medford were ordered to take a party of men to Charlestown Neck, to
this heroic and Christian adventurer belongs the honor of building the first vessel whose keel was laid in this part of the Western World; and that vessel was built on the bank of Mystic River, and probably not far from the governor's house at Ten Hills. There is a tradition that it was built on the north shore of the river, and therefore within the limits of Medford. The record concerning it is as follows: July 4, 1631. The governor built a bark at Mistick, which was launched this day, anderved. The property of Governor Cradock, invested at Medford for fishing and other purposes, was large. Mr. Savage says, He maintained a small plantation for fishing at Mistick, in the present bounds of Malden, opposite to Winthrop's farm, at Ten Hills. Complaint was made by our fishermen of a law, passed by Plymouth Colony, which laid a tax of five shillings on every share of fish caught by strangers at the Cape. From all that we can gather, we conclude that Mr. Cradock had invested as muc
t Boston between them and the Calvinists. Who were the champions in this gladiatorial encounter we do not know, nor where victory perched; but we have proof of blind, unchristian persecution, which stands a blot on the page of history. At the Ten Hills, in Mistick, lived a servant of John Winthrop, jun., who professed the Baptist faith. Mary Gould, his wife, who was with him in his creed, writes to John Winthrop, jun., March 23, 1669, concerning her husband's imprisonment in Boston on account of his peculiar faith. Whether what was done at Ten Hills was approved at Medford we do not know; but these facts tell volumes concerning the ideas, principles, and practices of some of the Puritan Pilgrims of New England. Indians convicted of crime, or taken prisoners in war, were sold by our fathers as slaves! June 14, 1642: If parents or masters neglect training up their children in learning, and labor, and other employments which may be profitable to the Commonwealth, they shall b
iful harvest, ships safely arrived with persons of special use and quality, &c.,--it is ordered that Wednesday, 16th of this present month, shall be kept as a day of public thanksgiving through the several plantations. 1635.--A wharf, made by large trees laid crosswise, was built on the bank of Malden River, opposite the Wellington Farm; and a cartway led from it to the first house built in Medford. March 28, 1636.--Governor Winthrop, writing to his son, says, This morning, I went to Ten Hills with your mother and your wife, to have seen Goodman Bushnell. We are all in good health; and I praise God for it. Your wife and mother, and all of us, salute you and your good company. The Lord bless and prosper you. Farewell, my good son. Oct. 28, 1636.--It is ordered that the freemen of every town shall, from time to time, as occasion shall require, agree amongst themselves about the prices and rates of any town, whether workmen, laborer, or servant. 1636.--Buying provisions and
s granted 600 acres of land on the south side of Mystic river, which he named Ten Hills. In 1632 he was granted Conant's Island, in Boston harbor, and changed itsems to have temporarily resided in Cambridge in 1632. He probably resided at Ten Hills summers, and at Boston winters, maintaining an establishment at Ten Hills theTen Hills the year round. The original Ten Hills farm, as granted by the general court to Winthrop in 1631, comprised all the land south of Mystic river, from Broadway park toas the Powder House, and then by a line now obliterated to Medford centre. Ten Hills might with some reason be called a Gubernatorial Demense, being with occasionextracts from Governor Winthrop's diary give us a picture of his life here at Ten Hills and elsewhere at this time. He says, under date of October 11, 1631: The govng at Boston. The first ship built in Massachusetts was launched from this Ten Hills farm upon the Mystic in 1631, by Governor Winthrop, July 4β€”an historic day 14
tone, Sara A., 73. Stone, Sarah, 78. Stone, Simon, 73, 79. Stone, Symond, 73. Stower River, 25. Strickland, Charles, 42. Sudbury, Mass., 78. Sullivan, James, 8. Susan and Ellin, 50. Swan, Samuel, Jr., 67. Sweetser, Abigail, 12. Sweetser, Henry Phillips, 65, 67. Sweetser, Colonel, John, 38, 65. Sweetser, Seth, 12, 44, 64, 65, 67. Sycamore Street, Somerville, 42. Symmes, Jack, 69. Symmes, William, 16. Talbot Mills, 1. Temple, Robert, 31. Temple, Robert, Jr., 31. Ten Hills, 30, 31, 33, 41. The Farms, 78, 79, 82, 83, 84, 85. The Farmers, 83. The Rocks, 53, 55, 56. Thorning,, 24. Three Pole Lane, 24. Tindall, Margaret, 26. Torrey, β€”, 22, 24. Town Hill, 67. Trevett, Robert, 12. Tring, Hertfordshire, Eng., 65. Trinity College, 25. Trumbull, Frances, 68. Trumbull, James, 67. Trumbull, Phoebe (Johnson), 67. Trumbull, Timothy, 67, 68. Tufts, Abby, 22. Tufts, Albert Clifford, 20, 21. Tufts, Anne Adams, 89. Tufts, Asa, 22, 42. Tufts,
s in Somerville, being originally the drive to the Manor House on Ten Hills Farm, occupied successively by Sir Robert Temple, General Elias Hasket Derby, and Colonel Samuel Jaques. From detailed descriptions of people and events connected with Ten Hills already printed in Historic Leaves, one may glean the following facts about the trees:β€” A winding drive led up to the house, fringed on either side with the fragrant Balm of Gilead. On either side of the house were magnificent elm trees. Otrees near Jaques street was a fine well of water, which was often a halting-place for the boys on their way to the river for a swim. Five elms of the Temple-Derby-Jaques trees are standing on Temple street now, but to which of the owners of Ten Hills they may be credited it is impossible to say definitely. Temple street was formerly known as Derby street, and Colonel Jaques presented it to the city. After comparison with other trees whose approximate age is known, one is inclined to say
Historic leaves, volume 6, April, 1907 - January, 1908, Original English inhabitants and early settlers in Somerville. (search)
Boston and Maine Railroad. Strawberry Hill was probably the same as our Prospect Hill. Lastly, there can hardly be a doubt that a part of what was called the Line-field of Charlestown was between the Stinted Pasture and the Newtown, or Cambridge, town line; from what is now Cambridgeport to Menotomy River, now Alewife Brook; the Line-field extending, also, into what is now the town of Arlington to, Mystic Pond. All these local names are now obsolete except that a part of the original Ten Hills Farms within our limits is still known as such. A century or more ago the Highfield became Ploughed Hill, and over two centuries ago the Highfield-mead became Dirty-marsh; but these names are now extinct, and there seems to be no modern names except for Strawberry Hill for the other localities of the olden time. The Cow Commons, as grazing ground, and also other lands in Somerville, were held largely by the inhabitants of the peninsula of Charlestown. The Commons were a feature of the t
1 2