of the island are bordered by rows of sand hills, and backed by a thick forest of pine, palmette, oak, and undergrowth.
On the western side of the island, on the shore of Amelia-river, as the channel between the island and the mainland is called, stands the village of Fernandina, or New Fernandina, as it is called, to distinguish it from Old. Fernandina, a decayed Spanish settlement a little to the northward of the new town, Opposite Fernandina, on the other side of Amelia river, is Tiger Island, between which and Amelia island is the harbor, which is one of the best and, arest on the coast, though the draft of water is not equal to that of Beaufort or Brunswick.
Nassau county, of which Amelia Island forms an important part, had, in 1850, a population of 2,161, of whom 1,077 were slaves — Its productions in that year were 404,805 pounds of rice, 29,812 bushels of Indian corn, 279 bales of cotton, and 44 hogsheads of sugar.
Fernandian commands the month of St. Mary's Riv