Your search returned 4 results in 3 document sections:

Francis Jackson Garrison, William Lloyd Garrison, 1805-1879; the story of his life told by his children: volume 3, Chapter 2: the Irish address.—1842. (search)
in 1828 (?), mentioned on p. 112 of McNally's Evils and Abuses in the Naval and Merchant Service Exposed (Boston, 1839). This suspicion was frightfully avenged upon him by the lieutenant aimed at in the letter. Some years before this, at Port Royal, Jamaica, being brought to trial for an affray with his captain, his defence of himself caused him to be styled the sailor orator. A piece of money which he received at this time from the sympathetic supercargo, he went and gave to the poor slavesow the literal bedfellow of swine, and now the victim of all those forms of torture which made the navy of his day truly hells afloat. At twenty-two, in the British service, he was flogged June 20, 1823. through Admiral Rowley's fleet at Port Royal, Jamaica, Sir C. Rowley, K. C. B. for desertion (not without cause), receiving one hundred and fifty lashes: he names the ships to which the launches were successively taken, and the fellow-sufferer who died Cf. Penn. under the terrible inflicti
James Russell Soley, Professor U. S. Navy, Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 7.1, The blockade and the cruisers (ed. Clement Anselm Evans), Chapter 7: (search)
eginning of the fight, had got under way, and steered in the direction of the flashes; but they cruised all night without meeting anything, while the Alabama was steadily holding her course to Jamaica. On her way back to Galveston the next morning, the Brooklyn discovered the masts of a wreck, standing upright, with the tops awash; and only by a mark on the hurricane-deck, which was found adrift, was the wreck identified as that of the ill-fated Hatteras. The Alabama now put in to Port Royal, Jamaica, where she landed her prisoners and repaired damages. The latter were not serious, and the ship remained only five days in port. After burning two prizes, the crews of which were landed at San Domingo, Semmes shaped his course for a point on the great highway of South American commerce, near the equator. He remained in this neighborhood two months, and captured eight vessels. All of these were destroyed except one, the Louisa Hatch, which was loaded with coal. Proceeding to the
lly. The committee close their report by recommending that the fund be hereafter known as the Mills and Ripley Fund, and this report the Society adopted. April 6, 1846, Mr. Ripley presented to the Independent Congregational Society a portrait in oil of the Rev. William Welsteed, who was invited to become Mr. Angier's successor in 1722, but declined the call. He was born in 1695, the son of William Welsteed, a merchant of Boston, who brought the news to Boston of the earthquake at Port Royal, Jamaica, on which occasion he narrowly escaped death. He was graduated from Harvard College with the class of 1717; was Librarian from 1718 to 1720, when he was appointed a tutor, and held the position till 1728, when he was called to the pulpit of the old North Church in Boston. He and Nicholas Sever, a fellow tutor, were conspicuous for claiming seats in the board of overseers of the College, in 1721-3, and in the troubles which grew out of an attempt to change the board, and effect the