Your search returned 95 results in 30 document sections:

1 2 3
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Agreement of the people, (search)
and the Town of Boston, 11; Lincoln. 1; Boston, 1. Rutlandshire, with the Boroughs, Towns, and Parishes therein, 1. Huntingdonshire. with the Boroughs, Towns, and Parishes therein, 3. Leichestershire, with the Boroughs, Towns, and Parishes therein, except Leicester, 5; Leicester, 1. Nottinghamshire, with the Boroughs, Towns, and Parishes therein, except Nottingham. 4: Nottingham, 1. Derbyshire, with the Boroughs, Towns, and Parishes therein, except Derby, 5; Derby, 1. Staffordshire, with the City of Lichfield, the Boroughs, Towns, and Parishes therein, 6. Shropshire, with the Boroughs, Towns, and Parishes therein, except Shrewsbury, 6; Shrewsbury, 1. Cheshire, with the Boroughs, Towns, and Parishes therein, except Chester, 5; Chester, 2. Lancashire, with the Boroughs, Towns, and Parishes therein, except Manchester, 6; Manchester and the Parish, 1. Yorkshire, with the Boroughs, Towns, and Parishes therein, except such as are hereafter named, 15; York Cit
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Asbury, Francis, 1745-1816 (search)
Asbury, Francis, 1745-1816 First bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church in America; born at Handsworth, Staffordshire, England. Aug. 26, 1745. In his twenty-third year he became an itinerant preacher under the guidance of John Wesley, and came to the United States in 1771. The next year Wesley appointed him general superintendent of the Methodist churches in America, and he held that office until the close of the Revolution, when the Methodists here organized as a body separate from the Church in England. Mr. Asbury was consecrated bishop by Dr. Coke in 1784. After that, for thirty-two years, he travelled yearly through the United States, ordaining not less than 3,000 ministers, and preaching not less than 17.000 sermons. He died in Spottsylvania, Va., March 31, 1816.
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Free trade. (search)
in such a way as to speak for the principal branches of industry, with the exception of agricultural labor. The wages of miners, we learn, have increased in Staffordshire (which, almost certainly, is the mining district of lowest increment) by 50 per cent. In the great exportable manufactures of Bradford and Huddersfield, the lo lessee can afford to pay the landlord. In England, generally, royalties have varied from about 6d. a ton to 9d. in a few cases; scarcely ever higher. But in Staffordshire, owing to the existence of a remarkable coal-measure, called the 10-yard coal, and to the presence of ironstone abundantly interstratified with the coal, the rantages through the trick of protection, I am reminded of the curious fact that (as it happens) this unusual abundance of the mineral made the getting of it in Staffordshire singularly wasteful, and that fractions, and no small fractions, of the 10-yard coal are now irrecoverably buried in the earth, like the tribute which America
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Government, instrument of. (search)
, 2; Lincolnshire, 10; Lincoln, 2; Boston, 1; Grantham, 1; Stamford, 1; Great Grimsby, 1; Middlesex, 4; London, 6; Westminster, 2; Monmouthshire, 3; Norfolk, 10; Norwich, 2; Lynn-Regis, 2; Great Yarmouth, 2; Northamptonshire, 6; Peterborough, 1; Northampton, 1; Nottinghamshire, 4; Nottingham, 2; Northumberland, 3; Newcastle-upon-Tyne, 1; Berwick, 1; Oxfordshire, 5; Oxford City, 1; Oxford University, 1; Woodstock, 1; Rutlandshire, 2; Shropshire, 4; Shrewsbury, 2; Bridgnorth, 1; Ludlow, 1; Staffordshire, 3; Lichfield, 1; Stafford, 1; Newcastle-under-Lyne, 1; Somersetshire, 11; Bristol, 2; Taunton, 2; Bath, 1; Wells, 1; Bridgewater, 1; Southamptonshire, 8; Winchester, 1; Southampton, 1; Portsmouth, 1; Isle of Wight, 2: Andover, 1; Suffolk, 10; Ipswich, 2; Bury St. Edmunds, 2; Dunwich, 1; Sudbury, 1; Surrey, 6; Southwark, 2; Guildford, 1; Reigate, 1; Sussex, 9; Chichester, 1; Lewes, 1; East Grinstead, 1; Arundel, 1; Rye, 1; Westmoreland, 2; Warwickshire, 4; Coventry, 2; Warwick, 1; Wiltsh
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Whitehouse, James Horton 1833- (search)
Whitehouse, James Horton 1833- Designer; born in Staffordshire, England, Oct. 28, 1833; came to the United States and settled in New York; and since 1858 has been connected with Tiffany & Co., jewellers. He designed the vase presented to William Cullen Bryant, and other notable artistic productions in silver.
Stuard's (English), which has a very short shank made in one piece with the arm, the pile being bent, but not welded. The stock is a wrought-iron bar with knobs on the end, which cant the anchor so that its fluke penetrates the ground as it is dragged along. One hole in the shank is for attachment of the cable, and a shackle at the crown is for the buoy-rope. The largest anchor in the world, according to Charles Ryland's Iron trade Report, was made at H. P. Parke's Works, Tipton, Staffordshire, for the Great Eastern, and weighs eight tons exclusive of the stock. Its dimensions are: Length of shank, twenty feet six inches; of wood-stock, nineteen feet six inches; trend of arms, seven feet four inches. It is somewhat different in form from ordinary anchors, the palms or blades being divided or split so that it may more readily pierce the seabottom. Anchor. The parts of an anchor are as follows: — a to b, shank; b to c, square; d to e, arm; f to g, palm, fluke, or keve
ve, and the means of igniting. Gunpowder is said to have been first used for blasting in Germany or Hungary, A. D. 1620; and some German miners, brought to England by Prince Rupert, introduced the practice at the copper mine of Eckford, in Staffordshire, the same year. The preliminary operation in blasting consists in boring or drilling holes, in which are to be placed the charges of gunpowder or other explosive materials employed to rend the rock. The implements ordinarily used for th. The fire-holes are merely openings left in the thickness of the wall, and are protected from the wind by a wall built round the kiln at a sufficient distance to allow the fireman room to attend the fires. These cupolas are employed in Staffordshire, England, and vicinity, and the heat attained in them is very great. In the illustration the figures are respectively, — A section on line C D. An elevation. A plan at top of fire-holes at level A B. Circular kiln. Fig. 905 show
e becoming damp. Clay′ing-bar. (Mining.) A cylindrical bar for driving tenacious clay into the crevices of a blasthole, in order to prevent percolation of water on to the charge. Clay-mill. Clay-mill. A mill for grinding clay for bricks, tiles, or the manufacture of pottery, stone-ware, porcelain, etc. The pug-mill is the form most usually employed. See brick-machine; pug-mill. In the South of England, at a famous clay-pit which supplies the potteries of London and Staffordshire, a form of Chilian mill is used. The dry clay is shoveled into a pan, which has a grated bottom; the runners rub and squeeze the clay so as to render it homogeneous, and mix thoroughly the clayey with the sandy particles with which it abounds. To the upright shaft of the runners are attached two scrapers projecting as far as the rim of the bedplate; the one is continually spreading the clay over the gratings, to allow the fine clay to pass through; and the other follows, collecting t
Hot-blast Fur′nace. The temperature of the air, previous to its being thrown upon the charge in the furnace, is raised to about 600° in an outer chamber or in a series of pipes. These are variously arranged. In that illustrated (A, Fig. 2588), the air is first condensed in an exterior chamber, whence it is forced into the pipe a within the reverberatory furnace b. Branches from this pipe terminate in the tuyeres on each side of the furnace, which has a separate fireplace. In Staffordshire, the hot-air apparatus is at the mouth of the furnace, and consists of an exterior and interior tube, the former closed and the latter open at each end. The annular space between them is connected by cross-pipes; through these the air is impelled and passes thence to the tuyeres. In 1834 M. Dafrenoy reported to the French government the results reached at the Clyde ironworks, which were as follows:— For the year182918311833 Temperature of blast.Cold450° F.612° F. Coal used per
The stem and stern-post were of wood, the beams of elm planks. Her weight was 8 tons, capacity 32 tons; she drew 8 to 9 inches of water when light, and plied on the Birmingham Canal. An iron pleasure-boat was launched on the Mersey in 1815 by T. Jevous of Liverpool. It was scuttled by jealous shipbuilders, and an iron life-boat launched by the same person in 1817 experienced the same fate. The first iron steam-vessel launched and put to sea was projected and built for A. Manby of Staffordshire, for the river Seine, in 1821. She took in a cargo of linseed-oil and iron castings, and was navigated direct from London to Havre, and from that port proceeded to Paris, where she discharged her cargo. She navigated the Seine for many years, and may yet. The iron steamboat Alburkah, for the Lander Expedition up the Niger, was built in 1831. She was 70 feet long, 13 feet beam, and 6 1/2 feet deep. When launched she drew 9 inches of water; when equipped she drew 40 inches. She was
1 2 3