Your search returned 2 results in 1 document
Apollodorus, Library (ed. Sir James George Frazer), book 2 (search)
called Gadira.Compare Hdt. 4.8;
Strab. 3.2.11, Strab. 3.5
4; Pliny, Nat. Hist. iv.120; Solinus xxiii.12. Gadira
is Cadiz. According to Pliny, Nat. Hist.
iv.120, the name is derived from a Punic word gadir, meaning “hedge.” Compare Dionysius, Perieg.
453ff. The same word agadir is still used in
the south of Morocco in the sense of
“fortified house,” and many places in that country bear the name.
Amongst them the port of Agadir is the best
known. See E. Doutté, En tribu （Paris,
1914）, pp. 50ff. The other name of the island is given by
Solinus xxiii.12 in the form Erythrea, and by Mela iii.47 in
the form Eythria. This island was inhabited by Geryon, son of Chrysaor by
Callirrhoe, daughter of Ocean. He had the body of three men grown together and joined in
one at the waist, but parted in three from the flanks and thighs.As to the triple form of Geryon, compare Hes.