Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events, Diary from December 17, 1860 - April 30, 1864 (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for Chattanooga (Tennessee, United States) or search for Chattanooga (Tennessee, United States) in all documents.

Your search returned 30 results in 29 document sections:

1 2 3
November 26. A. J. Clemens passed through Louisville, Ky., on Tuesday, on his way to Washington, to take his seat in Congress as the representative from the Fourth District of Tennessee. Mr. Clemens was compelled to leave his State on the 11th of August to avoid arrest, and since then he has been acting as an Assistant Surgeon in Col. Grider's regiment.--Baltimore American, December 2. A party of scouts, numbering five hundred men, under command of Col. Looney, returned to Chattanooga, East Tennessee, to-day, from a successful expedition, bringing in their spoils. They captured fourteen horses, and took one hundred Lincoln men prisoners. Some of these miscreants were found concealed in the dens and caves of the mountains. Holloway, the ruffian who killed Col. Anderson, managed to make his escape by clothing himself in female attire. None of the scouts received any injury.--Memphis Appeal. The Grand Review of all the Regular Military Forces on the north side of the
of the South being conquered, and maintaining that foreign mediation alone will succeed in putting an end to a war disastrous to the interests of humanity. William Mumford, a citizen of New Orleans, was hung in that city for an overt act of treason in pulling down the American flag from the United States Mint.--(Doc. 65.) In the Missouri Convention a bill for the gradual emancipation of slaves was submitted and defeated by a vote of fifty-two to nineteen. Memphis, Tenn., was formally taken possession of in the name of the Government of the United States, by Col. G. N. Fitch, commanding Indiana brigade.--The schooner Rowena, formerly the Garibaldi, ran into Stono Inlet, S. C., this evening, not knowing it to be in the possession of the National forces, and was captured by the gunboat Pawnee.--Official Report. The rebel batteries at Chattanooga, East-Tennessee, were silenced by the artillery of General Negley's command after a bombardment of three hours.--(Doc. 64.)
July 21. A party of National pickets were captured on the Lebanon road, five miles from Nashville, Tenn., by a body of rebel guerrillas.--Three bridges were burned on the Chattanooga road, within eight miles of Nashville. The first anniversary of the battle of Manassas was celebrated at Dill's farm, at Gen. Whiting's headquarters, near Richmond, Va., by the Bee Lodge of Masons. A pr cession was formed at Dill's and marched thence, preceded by a brass band, to the farm of Mrs. Schermerhorn. Arrived there, proceedings were initiated by prayer by Rev. Dr. Duncan. An oration, an eulogy on the death of the gallant and lamented brother Barnard E. Bee, Brigadier-General, C. S.A., who fell at Manassas, was then delivered in feeling and appropriate language by Rev. Dr. Stewart, an Episcopalian clergyman, of Alexandria, Va., who, it will be remembered, was driven from his pulpit by the hirelings of Lincoln for declining to pray for that individual. The procession returned to Dil
October 25. By order of the President, Major-General Buell was removed from the command of the Department of Kentucky, and Major-General Rosecrans appointed in his place.--The rebel conscript law went into effect in East-Tennessee, to-day, and was rigidly enforced. Chattanooga, Tennessee, was visited by a severe snow-storm, preceeded by sleet, causing the ground to be frozen so as to retain the snow. The ground was entirely covered to the depth of an inch and a half.--General Rosecrans, at his headquarters at Corinth, Mississippi, issued an order taking leave of his army, and announcing that the troops of that district would hereafter be commanded by General C. S. Hamilton, he having been called to duty elsewhere.--A party of the Forty-third Indiana regiment, while on a foraging expedition in the vicinity of Helena, Arkansas, were fired into by a band of rebel guerrilla cavalry, killing three and wounding two. The rebels escaped before a shot could be fired at them.
which threw a number of shells into the city. The rebels opened three batteries of heavy guns on the boats, but their shot fell short, and did no injury. By order of General R. B. Mitchell, commanding the National forces at Nashville, Tenn., G. W. Donegan and W. H. Calhoun, two wealthy citizens of that place, were arrested and confined in the State penitentiary, as hostages for the safe return within the National lines of John A. Galty and T. T. Tabb, Union men held by the rebels at Chattanooga.--Clifton, Tenn., was captured and destroyed by a detachment of the Third Michigan cavalry under the command of Captain Cicero Newell.--Philadelphia Inquirer. A Democratic Convention which met to-day at Frankfort, Ky., for the purpose of nominating candidates for State officers for the ensuing August election, was broken up and dispersed by Colonel S. A. Gilbert, under orders received from Brigadier-General Q. A. Gillmore, commanding the district. The members of the Convention were
ryland, issued a proclamation, calling upon the citizens of Baltimore and the people of the State to rally for defence against the rebels under General Lee.--A Convention took place at the Cooper Institute in New York, at which an address and resolutions, urging peace in the strongest manner, and denouncing the administration of President Lincoln, were adopted. Speeches were made by Fernando Wood, Judge J. H. McCunn, and others.--General Braxton Bragg, of the rebel army, was confirmed at Chattanooga by Bishop Elliot of the Episcopal Church.--the Democratic Convention of Ohio, by acclamation, nominated C. L. Vallandigham for Governor of that State; the same time refugees reported that Mr. Vallandigham had been imprisoned by the rebels.--Deputy Provost-Marshal Stevens and a Mr. Clayfield, and an enrolling officer who accompanied them, were fired upon near Manville, Rush County, Indiana, when the former was instantly killed. Mr. Clayfield was mortally wounded, and soon after died. The
ne slightly wound ed.--the Sixth regular cavalry, under Captain Chaflant, made a reconnoissance near Boonsboro, Md., and had a sharp fight, in which they lost eight or nine men.--(Doc. 32.) A battle took place near Fort Halleck, Idaho Territory, between a party of Ute Indians and Union soldiers belonging to the Fort, under the command of Lieutenants Brundley and Williams, of the Seventh Kansas volunteers. The battle lasted two hours, when the Nationals, led by Lieutenant Williams, charged upon the Indians, who fled to the mountains, and gave up the contest. The Nationals lost one killed and several wounded, while the Indians' loss was twenty-one killed, and thirty-nine wounded.--salutes were fired, and celebrations were held throughout the loyal States, in honor of the victories at Vicksburgh and Gettysburgh.--the rebel army of the Tennessee, under the command of General Bragg, on its retreat before the army of General Rosecrans, reached Lookout Mountain, near Chattanooga, Tenn.
August 20. Acting Brigadier-General B. F. Onderdonk, First New York Mounted Rifles, and two companies of the Eleventh Pennsylvania cavalry, returned to Portsmouth, Va., from a raid into North-Carolina. They passed through Edenton, N. C., and opened communication with Captain Roberts, in command at South-Mills. Thence they proceeded to Pasquotank and Hertford, and while about half-way between the two places,were attacked by the guerrillas, and in the skirmish lost two mounted riflemen. They killed thirty guerrillas, and drove several into the Dismal Swamp, where they were drowned; captured ninety horses, thirty mules, and other cattle.--(Doc. 159.) Colonel Wilder's cavalry, the advance of the army of the Cumberland, reached the eastern base of Waldon's Ridge, en route to Chattanooga.--General Beauregard, at Charleston, S. C., issued an order relative to the observation of fast-day, appointed by Jefferson Davis.
ence, Kansas, was invaded and pillaged by a band of rebel guerrillas, under the command of the chief Quantrell.--(Doc. 119.) General Gillmore, having rendered Fort Sumter untenable as a fortification, demanded its surrender, together with the rebel forts on Morris Island, threatening to shell Charleston, should his demand not be complied with.--(See Supplement.) The United States ship Bainbridge foundered in a storm off Cape Hatteras, and seventy-nine of the crew were lost. Chattanooga was shelled by the National forces under Colonel Wilder. The cannonade commenced at ten o'clock in the morning, and continued at intervals until five o'clock in the afternoon. Every piece from which the rebels opened was eventually silenced, although they fired with not less than nineteen guns. The only casualty on the Union side was the wounding of one man, Corporal Abram McCook, belonging to Lilly's battery.--General Meade issued an order regulating the circulation of newspapers in t
bombardment as inhuman and unheard of. The United States gunboats Satellite and Reliance were captured to-night off the mouth of the Rappahannock River, by a party of rebels, under the command of Lieutenant Commander J. Taylor Wood, of the rebel navy.--Colonel Wilder, with a force belonging to the army of the Cumberland, crossed the Tennessee River, opposite Shell Mound, and burned the railroad bridge over the Nicojack, destroying for the time all communication between the rebels at Chattanooga and those in the vicinity of Bridgeport, Ala.--A riot occurred at Danville, Ill., in which three citizens were killed and a number wounded.--the schooner Wave, having run the blockade at San Luis Pass, near Galveston, Texas, was captured by the National gunboat Cayuga. The expedition to Central Mississippi, which left La Grange, Tenn., on the thirteenth instant, returned this day, having met with the greatest success. The force consisted of detachments of the Third Michigan, Second
1 2 3