Browsing named entities in D. H. Hill, Jr., Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 4, North Carolina (ed. Clement Anselm Evans). You can also browse the collection for Warrenton (Virginia, United States) or search for Warrenton (Virginia, United States) in all documents.

Your search returned 8 results in 4 document sections:

Chapter 6: The campaign against Pope-Cedar Mountain Gordonsville Warrenton Bristoe Station Groveton Second Manassas Chantilly, or Ox Hill Pope defeated at all points. The result of the battles around Richmond so weakened Federal confidence in General McClellan's ability, that General Halleck was called from the West and made commander-in-chief of their armies. Previous, however, to his assumption of command, the departments of the Rappahannock and the Shenandoah were cos specially due Lieutenant-Colonel Fulton, of the Twenty-first North Carolina, that I should mention the conspicuous gallantry with which he took the colors and led his regiment to the charge. This brigade was also under fire on the 24th, near Warrenton, and in the two days the Twenty-first and the two attached companies of sharpshooters lost 5 killed and II wounded. There was heavy artillery firing at Warrenton Springs on the 24th. There Latham's North Carolina battery, with other batteri
eral Martin contended for its adoption, Major Gordon proceeds: The governor reserved his decision that night, but when asked for it next day, he authorized General Martin to buy the ship and clothing for the troops, and signed sufficient bonds for this purpose. The next thing for the adjutant-general to do was to get a man of ability and responsibility to be sent as agent to England. The governor made no suggestion on this point. On the recommendation of Major Hogg, Mr. (John) White, of Warrenton, was selected as State agent to go abroad to purchase the ship and supplies, and Col. Tom Crossan was sent to command the ship, and well did they perform this and every other duty intrusted to them by the State. In due time the steamer Lord Clyde, afterward named the Advance, arrived safely in Wilmington with supplies for the troops. Governor Vance got a great deal of credit forth is; General Martin, who was the real author of it, practically none. From this time forward it is certain t
hill just opposite to us, stacked arms, and went to making coffee. This operation had considerably progressed when a sharp volley of musketry was heard on the Warrenton road. I waited until it appeared more general, when, believing that it was our attack in earnest, I opened seven guns upon the enemy and rained a storm of canis from General Fitzhugh Lee stating that he was moving to join his commander, and suggesting that Stuart with Hampton's division should retire in the direction of Warrenton, drawing the enemy after him. This being done, Lee was to come in from Auburn and attack in flank and rear while Stuart attacked in front. General Stuart's repoith such impetuosity, the First North Carolina gallantly leading, that the enemy broke and the rout was soon complete. I pursued them from within three miles of Warrenton to Buckland, the horses going at full speed the whole distance. General Stuart quotes from a Northern writer, who speaks of Kilpatrick's retreat as the deplorab
ct in the legislature, and was re-elected twice, serving until 1861. In the latter year he was sent by North Carolina as a peace commissioner to the provisional congress at Montgomery. At the organization of the First regiment of infantry, at Warrenton, June 3, 1861 , he was commissioned lieutenant-colonel. Subsequently he was appointed colonel of the Thirty-fifth regiment, of Robert Ransom's brigade. With this command he participated in the Seven Days battles before Richmond, and was parti September served as president of a court of inquiry connected with Morgan's operations in Kentucky, in November was assigned to command at Charleston, but was soon compelled by illness to abandon that post. He surrendered to General Howard at Warrenton, May 2, 1865. In the trying times following the close of hostilities he found employment as express agent and city marshal at Wilmington, subsequently engaged in farming until 1878, and then accepted a position as civil engineer in charge of